Quantcast

Scott Redding withdraws from TT appearance

'I’m devastated. And that’s why I won’t be at the TT on Friday.'

MOTOGP'S Scott Redding has decided not to take part in a TT parade lap following two deaths in the races this week. 

Three-time British Supersport champion Karl Harris was killed in Tuesday's Superstock race. 

Bob Price, 65, a close family friend of Redding's, died competiting in Monday's Supersport race. 

On Tuesday, in the wake of the deaths, Redding questioned the TT on Twitter. 

In a series of tweets the Gresini Honda rider wrote: 'This TT racing is getting out of control, it's not fair on families. I don't think I even want to go. R.I.P Karl Bomber Harris.

'The bikes are far too advanced for road racing nowadays... 

'This is not racing anymore. It's like death race. All the riders that finish are relieved to finish in one piece and see their loved ones. Lost too many friends.'

He added: 'Don't take me the wrong way, and when anyone asks me about TT, I take my hat off, I have massive respect every time.' 

Redding was due to take part in a parade lap of the Isle of Man's Mountain course on Friday but has issued a statement confirming his withdrawal.

The statement said: 'I was shocked when I heard the news that Bob had been killed at the TT. He was a close family friend and one of the few people outside of my immediate family who supported me when I started out racing.

'I will miss him, as will many others in our racing family. Bob died doing something that he loved. I know we hear this all the time when tragedy strikes, but in Bob’s case it was definitely true.

'He was no spring chicken, but a seasoned roads campaigner who knew the risks, like all the riders do, but it’s what he wanted to do. I respect that, as I respect everyone who takes on the challenge of the TT, but it doesn’t make his passing any easier to deal with.

'Then yesterday, we heard the tragic news that Karl Harris had also lost his life. Karl and Bob are both guys that I know and their deaths have hit me harder than I expected.

'Honestly, I’m devastated. And that’s why I won’t be at the TT on Friday, not because I have anything against the Isle of Man TT, but because I prefer to mourn Bob in the places where I knew him best, not the place where he was taken from us. I wish all the competitors on the island safe racing.'

The TT's clerk of the course, Gary Thompson, told the BBC: 'Scott has his own views, as have many other people, but it's not something that I can comment on as those are his private views. 

'I've heard people say that the TT is too dangerous. We are aware that the speed of bikes is getting faster, but each year we carry out a full risk assessment of the whole TT course. 

'That includes the prohibited and restricted areas where we restrict officials and spectators from going into the most dangerous parts of the course. This is carried out on an annual basis and is an ongoing improvement throughout the year.'