Brexit and bikes: What is an IDP?

If you are planning to tour Europe, you should probably read this

Brexit and bikes: What is an IDP?

THE GOVERNMENT has issued some advice to road travellers in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The announcement states that any motor vehicles travelling within the EU after/if/when the UK leaves the EU will require an International Driving Permits (IDPs) in addition to your driving licence and other documents.

It reads:

‘IDPs are already needed if you plan to drive in many countries outside the EU/EEA.

You only need an IDP if you are definitely going to travel abroad.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal IDPs may also be required to drive in EU/EEA countries.

There are three different types of IDP in use. You may need more than one IDP depending on which countries you are visiting.

Find out if you need IDPs for your journey – and if so which types – by checking the latest information or from the Post Office.

There is no requirement for UK licence holders visiting EU/EEA countries to undertake any additional test to drive after the UK leaves the EU.

IDPs cost £5.50 and can be obtained over the counter at 2,500 Post Offices around the UK.’

For more information head to: