Tom Sykes has set a new lap record at Donington Park for pole position at the British round of World Superbikes, leaving team-mate Jonathan Rea to settle for second.
The Kawasaki Racing Team rider, who has now claimed five of the past six Superpoles at his home round, stormed the times with his opening flyer on the qualifying tyre with a 1m 26.641s for a new lap record.
With Rea unable to match his team-mate's pace he will start from second on the grid to set-up an intriguing battle between the pair as Sykes hunts a new World Superbike record of nine consecutive wins at the same circuit.
Davies found useful gains to secure a front row start for Aruba.it Racing Ducati, with local rider Alex Lowes also putting on an impressive show for Pata Yamaha with fourth on the grid at his home round.
Marco Melandri will start from the middle of the second row having held off the charge of Eugene Laverty on the Milwaukee Aprilia who progressed strongly through Superpole one.
Xavi Fores followed Laverty through from the opening Superpole session to take seventh ahead of wildcard Leon Haslam who tipped off his Puccetti Kawasaki at Craner Curves on his final qualifying lap.
Full WorldSBK Superpole results from Donington Park:
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10RR 1m 26.641s
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10RR 1m 27.005s
3. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R 1m 27.338s
4. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 1m 27.538s
5. Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R 1m 27.818s
6. Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 1m 27.880s
7. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati Panigale R 1m 28.155s
8. Leon Haslam GBR Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 28.254s
9. Leandro Mercado ARG IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 1m 28.308s
10. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR 1m 28.337s
11. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 28.533s
12. Lorenzo Savadori ITA Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 1m 28.650s
13. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR 1m 28.554s
14. Randy Krummenacher SWI Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 28.824s
15. Alex de Angelis SMR Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 28.967s
16. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 29.168s
17. Stefan Bradl GER Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 1m 29.186s
18. Raffaele De Rosa ITA Althea BMW S1000RR 1m 29.239s
19. Roman Ramos ESP Team Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 29.350s
20. Riccardo Russo ITA Guandalini Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 29.795s
21. Ondrej Jezek CZE Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 29.962s
22. Ayrton Badovini ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 30.222s