Marc Marquez has secured his third consecutive pole position, and 70th in all classes, after holding off a late Ducati charge at the Red Bull Ring in Austria.
The Repsol Honda rider heads into the Austrian race with strong momentum thanks to two straight poles and victories to take control of the MotoGP world title race and duly converted his impressive free practice pace to pole position.
Marquez was made to sweat by a late Ducati charge, which dominated at the Red Bull Ring 12 months ago, as Andrea Dovizioso moved to within two-tenths of provisional pole time but ran out of time in Q2 to find another late improvement.
Jorge Lorenzo secured a first front row start of 2017 with third for Ducati fractionally off his Italian team-mate but ahead of his Movistar Yamaha replacement Maverick Vinales who heads up row two with Danilo Petrucci on the Pramac Ducati fifth and Johann Zarco on the Tech 3 Yamaha sixth.
That left Valentino Rossi to slip to seventh late on but remained ahead of factory Honda rider Dani Pedrosa and LCR Honda rider Cal Crutchlow on row three.
Andrea Iannone threatened to rediscover some much-needed form for Suzuki in 10th ahead of impressive Q2 runners Karel Abraham (Aspar Ducati) and Loris Baz (Avintia Ducati) – who are both on GP15 machines but beat all of the GP16 riders.
Full Austrian MotoGP qualifying results:
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 1m 23.235s [Lap 8/10] 311km/h (Max)
2. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 23.379s +0.144s [10/10] 306km/h
3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 23.621s +0.386s [6/8] 305km/h
4. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 1m 23.754s +0.519s [8/9] 306km/h
5. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 23.780s +0.545s [8/8] 303km/h
6. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 1m 23.879s +0.644s [7/8] 306km/h
7. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 1m 23.982s +0.747s [8/9] 304km/h
8. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 1m 23.985s +0.750s [9/9] 308km/h
9. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 24.024s +0.789s [8/10] 304km/h
10. Andrea Iannone ITA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 24.185s +0.950s [9/10] 303km/h
11. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 24.220s +0.985s [9/9] 309km/h
12. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 24.483s +1.248s [8/9] 303km/h
13. Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 1m 24.015s 306km/h
14. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 24.036s 313km/h
15. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 24.037s 307km/h
16. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 1m 24.101s 308km/h
17. Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 24.202s 317km/h
18. Mika Kallio FIN Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 1m 24.261s 309km/h
19. Jack Miller AUS EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 24.321s 309km/h
20. Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 24.447s 304km/h
21. Alex Rins ESP Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 1m 24.448s 305km/h
22. Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 1m 24.530s 306km/h
23. Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* 1m 24.852s 306km/h
24. Tito Rabat ESP EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 24.900s 307km/h