Marc Marquez took a big stride to the MotoGP World Championship with a dazzling victory at Phillip Island in Australia.
The Repsol Honda rider claimed all 25 points as main championship rival Andrea Dovizioso struggled to finish a lowly 13th place on the Ducati, picking up only three points. Reigning champion Marquez has now increased his advantage to 33 points with two rounds to go as he hunts afourth premier class crown.
Movistar Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi got the better of Johann Zarco on the satellite machine to seal the runner-up spot, with Maverick Vinales out-running Zarco on the blast to the line on the final lap to snatch third.
Cal Crutchlow finished fifth on the LCR Honda ahead of Ecstar Suzuki’s Andrea Iannone, with home hero Jack Miller (EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda) taking seventh on his return from injury.
Alex Rins grabbed eighth on the factory Suzuki as KTM pair Pol Espargaro and Bradley Smith completed the top ten.
Full Australian MotoGP results:
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 40m 49.772s
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 40m 51.571s
3. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 40m 51.598s
4. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 40m 51.614s
5. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 40m 53.617s
6. Andrea Iannone ITA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 40m 53.643s
7. Jack Miller AUS EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 40m 55.391s
8. Alex Rins ESP Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 41m 1.980s
9. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 41m 6.023s
10. Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 41m 6.034s
11. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac (GP16) 41m 11.424s
12. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 41m 11.440s
13. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP17) 41m 11.464s
14. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar (GP15) 41m 15.882s
15. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (GP17) 41m 15.940s
16. Tito Rabat ESP EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 41m 16.024s
17. Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar (GP16) 41m 26.149s
18. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia (GP15) 41m 29.426s
19. Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* 41m 30.172s
20. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia (GP16) 41m 35.673s
21. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac (GP17) 41m 38.540s
22. Broc Parkes JPN Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1) 41m 47.483s
Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) DNF