Andrea Dovizioso has claimed back-to-back MotoGP wins for the first time in his career as he had the measure of the Repsol Honda riders at Circuit de Catalunya.
Fresh from an emotional home win at Mugello last week, Dovizioso stormed from seventh to the victory by 3.5 seconds from Marc Marquez after Dani Pedrosa dropped from first to third in the closing stages toiling in the intense heat in Barcelona.
It was a frustrating day for the factory Yamaha riders with championship leader Maverick Vinales in tenth to see his lead trimmed to seven points by Dovizioso. It was a similar story for Valentino Rossi who could only manage eighth having started a lowly 13th place.
Having been on the pace of the front-runners and briefly leading Jorge Lorenzo finished fourth place after an impressive late race charge against the Tech 3 Yamaha riders Jonas Folger and Johann Zarco. The French rider got the better of his German team-mate for top spot honours in his pitbox.
Alvaro Bautista secured a relatively lonely seventh for Aspar Ducati ahead of Rossi with Hector Barbera keeping the Avinta Ducati in front of Vinales.
After his qualifying fall Cal Crutchlow recovered to 11th with Loris Baz, Scott Redding and Tito Rabat completing the points places after Danilo Petrucci fell from fifth place in the closing stages.
Full Catalan MotoGP race results:
1. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 44m 41.518s
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 44m 45.062s
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 44m 48.292s
4. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 44m 51.126s
5. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* 44m 55.356s
6. Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* 44m 55.439s
7. Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP16) 44m 58.281s
8. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 45m 2.339s
9. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP16) 45m 5.470s
10. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 45m 5.707s
11. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 45m 9.847s
12. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 45m 14.799s
13. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP16) 45m 16.718s
14. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP15) 45m 20.954s
15. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 45m 22.390s
16. Andrea Iannone ITA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 45m 24.739s
17. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 45m 26.173s
18. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 45m 30.511s
19. Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* 45m 37.010s
Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP17) DNF
Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) DNF
Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) DNF