Shane Byrne has taken an unprecedented sixth MCE British Superbike championship after a dramatic overhaul on Leon Haslam at the triple-header final round.
The defending BSB champion has produced a 33-point deficit turnaround on Haslam at the final round with two wins and an eighth place at Brands Hatch to claim the 2017 crown ahead of the JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider, who crashed out of the final race with brake failure.
It marks the first successful defence Byrne has produced of a BSB title to add to his previous five championships in potentially the most dramatic of circumstances having been a relative outside shot heading into the last round.
Having followed Haslam in fourth place over the opening laps, the JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider suffered brake failure and crashed out which meant Byrne just needed three points to seal the title.
As a result, Byrne eased off to finish eighth to seal an emotional defence of his BSB title as Josh Brookes won the finale to leapfrog Haslam into the runner-up spot.
BSB Brands Hatch GP race three results:
1. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 20 laps, 28m 59.284s
2. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR +0.687s
3. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +0.857s
4. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +1.929s
5. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +2.144s
6. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +5.254s
7. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR +5.281s
8. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +6.512s
9. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 +6.923s
10. Richard Cooper GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +7.628s
11. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +12.176s
12. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10RR +13.853s
13. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +13.923s
14. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +14.013s
15. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +14.369s
16. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR +16.633s
17. Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR +22.910s
18. Kyle Ryde GBR Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +27.895s
19. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR +27.955s
20. Michael Rutter GBR Bathams SMT BMW S1000RR +29.257s
21. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10RR +29.885s
22. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 +31.125s
23. Dean Harrison GBR Silicone Engineering Racing Kawasaki ZX-10RR +34.970s
24. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +57.297s
Did not finish
Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Ruled out by injury
John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R