Josh Brookes has grabbed his maiden pole position of the year in tricky conditions at Brands Hatch GP with Luke Mossey and Dan Linfoot completing the front row.
While Shane Byrne had dominated the free practice sessions in the dry, heavy rain before qualifying transformed the Brands track to throw up a surprise. After a thoroughly wet Q1 a dry line quickly formed and with it lap times duly tumbled until the pole shootout.
The Anvil Hire Yamaha rider timed his Q3 run to perfection with his second flying lap coming when the track was at its driest and duly claimed pole position by a huge 0.658s ahead of MCE British Superbike championship leader Luke Mossey on the JG Speedfit Kawasaki.
While it marks the Australian's first 'official' pole position of 2017, having started from first on the grid for race two at Donington Park with the grid decided by fastest laps from race one, the feat marks his 36th BSB pole overall and Anvil Hire Yamaha's first-ever pole position as a BSB team.
Dan Linfoot was another rider to profit in the drying conditions to claim a front row start for Honda ahead of Smiths Racing BMW's Peter Hickman and Moto Rapido Ducati's John Hopkins.
With Byrne unable to replicate his dry practice pace in Q3 he will line up at the back of the second row in sixth place for Be Wiser Ducati to give the double winner from Snetterton work to do in tomorrow's races.
Full BSB qualifying results from Brands Hatch GP:
1. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 35.198s
2. Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 35.856s
3. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 35.865s
4. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 1m 35.900s
5. John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R 1m 36.020s
6. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 1m 36.169s
7. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 36.378s
8. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 36.831s
9. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.160s
10. Billy McConnell AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.601s
11. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 1m 37.621s
12. Jason O'Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 37.813s
13. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.884s
14. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 1m 38.008s
15. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 1m 38.574s
16. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 38.741s
17. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 39.213s
18. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 39.718s
19. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR 1m 42.015s
20. Andrew Reid GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 1m 42.262s
21. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 43.099s
22. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 43.768s
23. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 47.972s
24. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 No time set
25. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR No time set