THERE ARE two schools of thought with adventure bike luggage. Some folk like big solid aluminium boxes, for their security, perceived extra crash resistance and macho style. But increasingly, there's a move towards semi-soft setups, which are lighter, more flexible, and can cope better after a crash.
The problem with hard metal cases is if they do go down hard, they can bend and distort, and once the lid's out of alignment, they don't seal properly and start to fill up with rain from the bottom. Horses for courses of course - you'll know better what's more likely to be best for your needs.
Top luggage firm Givi offers both types of case of course - and it's extended its semi-soft bag range recently with these new GRT709 Canyon side bags from its Gravel-T range. They're made of tough waterproof 1200 polyester material, with a fibreglass backing plate, that solidly attaches them to luggage frames and can be locked in place. Air vents help you compress the load, and with 35 litre capacity, they carry a fair chunk of touring kit each side.
- High resistance 1200 W/R Polyester, thermoformed PE on the reverse
- Hypalon fabric inserts
- Outer shell with high resistance to UV exposure (ISO 4892-2 rated)
- Waterproof roll-down closures
- High visibility yellow Tarpaulin waterproof IP65 rated (resistant to heavy rain and extreme conditions) removable inner bag, with carrying strap
- Document pocket built inside the removable inner bag
- Duraflex buckles
- Thermo or regular bottle carrying pocket
- M.O.L.L.E. system on both front and bottom sides
- 10 included M.O.L.L.E. fasteners (4 Double-D ring straps, 4 elastic straps, 2 universal hooks)
- Shoulder straps
- Reflective prints for improved visibility and safety
The GRT709 bags cost £528.37. More info HERE.