Xt125 R performance mods - some advice please?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Xt125 R performance mods - some advice please?

Hi All,

I've just sold a Bandit 400 and scaled down to a new XT125 R for commuting into work on.

Great little bike - really chuckable and great for filtering on as it's pretty narrow!

I've had it to 60mph and alledgedly it will make 70 - 75 on a good day

However, even though it's still running in it's a bit slow - apart from changing the can (which I'm not considering) is there anything I can do to make the bugger go a bit quicker??

Thanks for any help

Jamie

It's a 125 4 stroke single with the aerodynamics of a tower block, the only way you'll get 70 out of it is if you chuck it off a cliff.

Lol - I know, I know!I didnt buy it for speed and considering i'm about 13 stone I knew it wouldnt exactly tear my ears off but...aren't these puppies restricted?

Used to be a big deal in tuning up these engines and there are gains to be had, but never ever without the expense of longitivity. If your commuting then I dont reckon there is a better tool than little Honda 4 stroke. Kev

KFZ wrote

Used to be a big deal in tuning up these engines and there are gains to be had, but never ever without the expense of longitivity. If your commuting then I dont reckon there is a better tool than little Honda 4 stroke. Kev

that's what I thought - i'm guessing any tinkering would void the warranty?would Yamaha does this at a price and still cover the warranty do you think?cheersJ...

I think with an air-cooled 2 valve 125cc motor you're not going to get much more out of it with out making it into a ticking time bomb

Ok - looks like i'm going to have to make do with a whopping 10 bhp :O)It's fast enough to halve my tube journey time so i'm happy - but i'm missing the extra grunt the bandit had :O(

the only advice i can give as an xt owner is ride when the air is cold j

Another noob thread necromancer?

yes that, plus pizza boy on his off day forgetting to check thread date when he should really be sleeping (oops!)j

I don't know what anyone is on about because I got a xt125r and only modified the exhaust, sports filter and cleaned the carb out, got it going 89mph with ease

That sounds like a fantastically optimistic speedo. 89mph - even on a small bike - needs about 23hp, and it's unlikely your lightly "modded" xt is making much more than 15.

is the speedo set for kmh???

I've got an XT125 x and have had it for 4 years. Truth is, the most I've ever had out of it was 71. This was down a VERY steep hill, with the wind behind me. It also didn't feel too nice because as someone previously stated, is about as aerodynamic as a bus. However, I've tweaked mine a litte. I upjetted the carb and lowered a tooth on the front. This gave it a little more pull but not anything major. A list of what you could do to this bike: Arrow pipe Sports filter and  re-jet Lightened flywheel (Note this engine is exactly the same as the TTR 125 so you can mod with the same parts) Big bore kit to 150cc (£60 on ebay) Although other things like a bigger carb and free flow pipe are recommended. Alter the gear ratio.   Apart from that, you might as well get a bigger bike. It's a 125 4T what do you expect. I love my XT, these bikes are bullet proof. A million times better than the chinese crap out there. A peg above the CBF and CBR in my opinion too.  

The way to keep the XT125's engine running sweet and smooth is to keep up on servicing. when you turn the ignition on it recommends when a service should be done, and when you have done a service reset the service mileage on the speedometer so you know when to do the next.always put good 10-40w oil in no cheap stuff and if you really want to take it further use an oil additive such as slick 50 for the reduced friction but there really isnt any need to on engines like these. check the spark plug frequently and make sure the colour isnt jet black oily or sutted make sure its a nice brown with the correct gapping and if you choose to replace the plugs use CR7HIX slighty more expensive than a normal spark plug but all for the benefit of your engine running smoothly this plug will help. The yamaha XT125's are not really 'performance' engines but to keep it with as much power as possible this is the way to do it without losing any of your 10bhpJordan.S