Problem with Gilera SC125

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Problem with Gilera SC125

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice for my Gilera, wondering if anyone else has had a problem with it and hopefully shed some light.

Its pretty straight forward really, I took it out for a spin the other day, it started up fine as usual and I had no problems pulling off. It was only until I had moved some distance and shifted up a gear when the engine made a bit of a noise and then cut out completely. Its been around 2-3 days since and it still wont start. At first it was a simple matter of not starting at all, but the more we tried the more problems I got. The high-beams wont switch on, sometimes the dash wont even light up and the neutral light with dim when the ignition switch is pressed. If anything I would have suggested an electrical fault, but I've been told by someone that its possibly a fault battery or even a starter motor problem as it sounds like it is struggling when the ignition switch is pressed. 

Any help anyone can give would be a great help, I'm not looking for a definate solution but if anyone can at least shed some light on the problem or even relate to it then it'll at least give me an idea on what I'm working with.

Cheers guys!

Well, even if there is another problem there's definitely something odd going on electrically which it'd probably help to sort out before diagnosing anything else. The fact that it started, stopped after not too far, and now won't restart suggests it may be a dodgy / failing connection to the battery. i.e. Start the bike, set off, connection moves, bike cuts out & won't restart. It could also be a dodgy battery, or a dodgy starter motor.  Find the battery, put a volt meter across it note the reading, and then turn on the ignition and headlights (don't try to start it). If it starts at or above 13V and drops below 12.5 when you put the lights on, then the battery may be flat or may be duff. In either case the root cause may be that the charging system's duff, but you can only test for this once the engine's running again. Or it may be that you're spending too much time with the engine idling (little generator output) with lights (lots of power consumption) etc on.If the battery seems OK then keep the voltmeter across the battery, but now hit the "start" button. If the battery voltage drops HUGELY then you could hav a dodgy/flat battery, or could have a short circuit on the starter motor power circuit - check the big fat wires and their connections. If the voltage doesn't drop much, put the "negative" lead of the voltmeter on the positive connection of the starter motor, and try again. If you get more than 1V or so then you've got a poor connection of cable (or relay) between the battery and starter motor.

Hi just wondering if anyone has had the same problem my back wheel keeps locking up not sure of the reason just wonder if i am the only 1

locking up under braking? or just in general use?

the bike jus does it wen it feels like 2day i woz going about 40mph and it dd it the other when i woz goin about 20 and its even done it wen im jus wheeling it out of my house. im not sure if it could b the wheel bearings or the brake caliper any ideas

Hi I have just bought my daughter an 58 model and the back wheel bearing had gone on that one !You can buy them very cheap from gileraspares.co.uki think they were only about £5.00 they can be a tricky job to get the old bearing out though

Having problems with my 58 Sc. Was riding it fine the other day and then the engine cut out. I managed to get it started but it wouldnt idle at all and I had to keep revs up to stop it from cutting out. Now it doesn't seem to want to start again. Engine is ticking over and you hear it's almost there, just won't get all the way there.
Any advice?

i have the same problem as shaymous. doesnt idle so i keep the revs up and it eventually cuts out. got the carb taken out and cleaned and it done it again. had a hole in my exhaust connected to the airbox that works the vacume for the petrol and it started and still conked. i am very cunfused !!

Hi I have had my gilera sc 125 for about 6 month now 3-4 month in I had parked up after a ride out, a minute later I started it up and set off it seemed as if it had lost a lot of power and once I go past 3-5000 revs it then hesitates to go then after bout a second- a second and half it speeds up whether I put full revs on or not, I had my girlfriends dad look at it and we enabled a boost in which I had already with the bike it suddenly disabled this problem, now a month and a half later it has happened again this time with the boost on aswell I'm wondering if its something to do with the power valve, someone please help.

Hi I have had my gilera sc 125 for about 6 month now 3-4 month in I had parked up after a ride out, a minute later I started it up and set off it seemed as if it had lost a lot of power and once I go past 3-5000 revs it then hesitates to go then after bout a second- a second and half it speeds up whether I put full revs on or not, I had my girlfriends dad look at it and we enabled a boost in which I had already with the bike it suddenly disabled this problem, now a month and a half later it has happened again this time with the boost on aswell I'm wondering if its something to do with the power valve, someone please help.

Hi there - i am new to this thread and the GILERA SC125 2008 YAMAHA bike - i am having the same issues as mentioned above in this thread - bike is trying to start but just not getting there - i have a spark but for some reason it just won't fire - did anyone get to the bottom of the problems mentioned above? cheers folks

Hello I have a gilera sc I was wondering how long should it take for temp light to come on when idling as I've rebuilt top end cause off blown head gasket thanks

Hello I have just rebuilt my gilera sc 125 I was wondering how long dose it take for temp light to come on when idiling?