Honda CBR1000F cam shaft query

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Honda CBR1000F cam shaft query

Sorry, another weird question.

I want to replace the cams in my CB1000 with CBR1000F versions (more horses), however the CBR cams I've got are different - not just profile!

The CB ones have a groove on the journals where as the CBR ones don't.  I was wondering if the groove was a mod to allow better oil flow, but I would rather not use the ones I've got if they are not compatible.

I'd appreciate advise from someone knowledgeable on these matters.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/David56/CB1000/PICT0103.jpg

I think you will find a half moon thrust bearing under the cam if you lift it out. This stops the cam moving sideways in the journal. I would assume the top end on the CBR is machined slightly differently as the cam is different not familiar with it so only guessing. 

Ahh, that'd explain it.  I bet the motors where modified and I've got the early cams instead of later ones.  I'm loath to lift the cams at the minute as I don't want to loose the timing if I'm not changing the cams!

reggit wrote (see)

Ahh, that'd explain it.  I bet the motors where modified and I've got the early cams instead of later ones.  I'm loath to lift the cams at the minute as I don't want to loose the timing if I'm not changing the cams!

If you look directly down on top of the cam you should see the slot the TB sits in in the journal.  

Done some more research (isn't hindsight great!) it appears the CBR engines where modified around 1992 to include cams with the groove in the journal, the pre-92 engines didn't have this feature.Bugger got the wrong cams!

Hello All, While I realize this thread is age old, I have some information that might help someone else down the line.  I own 3 CB1000's and consider myself somewhat of an expert.  Using the service manual, it is easy to verify that the cams in a CB1000 are identical to the cams in a CBR1000F.  Don't believe me?  Not only do the part numbers match in a Honda OEM manual, I have personally measured both sets of cams with micrometers and they are exactly the same.  With this said, if you want a 135 HP CB1000, you just need the following: -valve springs from a CBR1000f -CDI Ignition box from CBR1000f -stiffer than stock clutch and springs -Carbs from a CBR1000f Again, the ONLY difference between a CB and CBR head is the springs.  The cams AND valves are matching part numbers, the heads are identical, except the CB head has the water jacket ports front and back instead of on the side.  This makes the CB head MORE desirable for this swap, as it will look stock, and plug up directly to the stock radiator hoses.  One thing to remember is that stock CBR's had an oil cooler to help with the added power.  In order to install the oil cooler on a CB1000, you need the CBR oil pump and pipes, as the CB oil pump does not have the same passages internally.  My CB1000 has all of the above, plus a wiseco 1049 kit that raises compression from 10.1:1 to a healthy 12.5:1.  The end result is a CB1000 with 20 more HP than the stock CBR, it weighs 50 pounds less than a stock CBR, and power wheelies in 3rd with stock gearing. -CB Ten Fiddy

To, CB ten fiddy. I just recently bought a 1995 cb1000. I am in the process of tearing the engine down to clean/service parts (ie clutch and so fourth.) I was just wondering what the year range on the CBR1000F that can be used to do this? Any information would be great I'm struggling to find much info on this bike due to how rare it is.