FYI, R1 calipers do NOT go straight onto a 1995 FZR1000.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
FYI, R1 calipers do NOT go straight onto a 1995 FZR1000.

The disc hits the inside of the caliper before the holes line up, I just tried it.

Suppose it might be something to do with the R1 disc being 300mm and the FZR being 320mm.

zanx wrote

The disc hits the inside of the caliper before the holes line up, I just tried it.Suppose it might be something to do with the R1 disc being 300mm and the FZR being 320mm.

Is it just the inside of the pads hitting the disc bobbins? Try them without the pads in to confirm. I know for a fact they go straight on the earlier bike as I've got them on mine. IIRC, the later discs have a slightly narrower swept area, even though they are still 320mm

zanx wrote

The disc hits the inside of the caliper before the holes line up, I just tried it.Suppose it might be something to do with the R1 disc being 300mm and the FZR being 320mm.

Bugger - Not checked rotor sizes - I have a 90 Exup (not RU) and awaiting some 03 R1 calipers to be delivered (fleabay bargain).Although..... www.geocities.com/jeb_warrior/jeb_warrior8.html 'Craig' says it works (see near the bottom)..!

Fugazi1000 wrote

Bugger - Not checked rotor sizes - I have a 90 Exup (not RU) and awaiting some 03 R1 calipers to be delivered (fleabay bargain).Although..... www.geocities.com/jeb_warrior/jeb_warrior8.html 'Craig' says it works (see near the bottom)..!

Mate, my bike's an 89 and the blue spots went straight on.

Rich_H wrote

Mate, my bike's an 89 and the blue spots went straight on.

...and very nice it looks too! Just the same as mine (except for the calipers of course) so I'm happy again now!A big favour - could you check and tell me the paint code for the pearlescent white. The sticker has gone from mine and I need a touch-up kit? I will fetch whatever you like from the bar...

Tis looking good rich. I hit a deer on my RU 3 weeks ago, totalled the front end and broke my thumb but didn't come off it, and it's gradually being rebuilt with e-bay parts. The R1/R6 calipers blue/gold spots fit straight on the 89-92 exups, 93-95 fork legs require a rework to fit them due to the shape of the brake attatching castings. The Thunderace blue spots can be a problem to fit due to the bleed nipple positioning interfering with the castings also. chris

Looks like they fit RWU forks but not USD forks.

They will fit straight on an exup 91/92 upside down forks (single headlight). but not your 93-95 foxeye model, without some work. chris

seeing that fzr i miss mine now

I have an '87 FZR 1000 pre EXUP (obviously), does anyone know which of the blue/gold/silver spot callipers I should be looking for to bolt on with a minimum of work? Yes, I know this is a very old thread, but I still need to do this job!