Dead ZZR1100, but battery is fine?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dead ZZR1100, but battery is fine?

My 1999 ZZR1100 D7 has been totally reliable until last weekend when it simply refused to even turn over.  Very quite clicking sound for a couple of seconds and then nothing.  Assumming it was the battery I plugged the Optimate in a left it until today (I work away during the week).  But no joy, same problem.  Then noticed Optimate says battery is fine.  Tried a jump start, exactly the same again.  So bike is dead but it's not the battery.  (Lights and alarm working fine)

Have had all bodywork off and checked for lose connections but no joy, and all fuses are fine.  It has Laserline 860 ti2 alarm, but this hasn't caused any problems before.

Any ideas before I spend tomorrow aimlessly pulling the bike to bits and putting it back together again?

Cheers

Vimes

could be the starter relay is jammed/fecked

TaI'll look that one up in my manual.Any other ideas?It went from being fine to dead just sitting in the garage for a week.  I have left it for a month before with no issues.  The one thing I did do was not actually run it the last couple of times I started her up, just let her run for 5 mins and then shut her down again.

I presume that you have not accidentally hit the engine stop switch and turned it off have you?  That caught out 'a mate of mine' when he was in a hurry once.You say your fuses are fine?  How do you know?  Most people mean that they look fine when they say that.  But it's not uncommon for fuses to fail but still look OK.  It's worth checking them through with a meter or bulb or something.   At this point most people start to randomly check various components, like the sidestand switch and the switch on the clutch lever (if there is one).  Another favourite would be to check any relays in the starter circuit.  Personally I would start with the circuit diagram and work through. 

how about the cdi unit?the clicking sounds like the starter relay as mentioned above, have you tried bump starting it? (i know its heavy, i used to have to do mine sometimes). if it goes then, the ignition part of the equation is ok. the side stand switch on the zzr would only be an issue when you put the bike in gear...

CDI added to list of things to check.  Bump start a ZZR1100!  What could possibly go wrong....

I'm with iBurty - work systematically thru' the wiring diagram, otherwise you'll give yourself grief.First thing to do is check if there's a voltage signal getting to the starter relay when you hit the start button. If so, then it's a problem with the relay or the starter motor. If not, then it's something before that - often the safety interlocks to which iBurty alludes (sidestand switch, clutch switch etc).The quiet clicking sound will most likely be a relay - could be the starter relay, but if it was quite quiet then I'd be suspecting a small, low current one - possibly one of the ones that control the starting and ignition circuits, but also quite possibly the alarm. Like I say - start with the trigger signal at the starter relay - if this shows a problem then it'll gradually work back from there, thru' the alarm, thru' the safety switches etc so you should find it.

Captain Vimes wrote (see)

CDI added to list of thigs to check.  Bump start a ZZR1100!  What could possibly go wrong....

its easy...

Try the simple stuff first. Green ninja could be pointing in the right direction. Try tapping the starter motor withe a hammer, or putting the bike in gear and rocking it backwards and fowards a couple of times.

Cheers Judge.  By putting the bike into gear I suddenly realised that the netural light hadn't been on (although it had been in netrual as I had been pushing it in and out of the garage).  Put it back into netrual, light comes on, bike fires up first time!  Must be some safety thing that doesn't allow you fire the bike up when it doesn't think you are in netrual and the clutch is out...I'm off out for a ride...

twat!

+1 (in the nicest "friendly ribbing" sort of sense.He he - I  did it on a bike in France once. For some reason mi brain didn't click in properly after stoppin' for some lunch. Perfectly natural, well rehearsed habit of pulling the clutch in didn't happen, wouldn't start. Was all about to start strippin' the seat an' tank off when I just tried it again, and this time the habit kicked back in and I pulled the clutch in. Felt like a right narna.

I bet it's the battery even if the Optimate throws on the green light. Thing is a battery may seem fine until it's under load. It may have enough power to operate lights and horn,but no enough to turn the engine and provide adequate spark.Stick a voltmeter across the terminals and thumb the starter to see if the voltage drops. It should read about 12.5 volts static,if it drops below that when you hit the button,it's fooked.One other thing is the sidestand switch just under the clutch lever,it collects crud and corrodes easily,if this is dirty the bike won't start on the button.

Had a similar problem once til I realised the 'kill' switch had been caught. Only wasted an hour and lots of swear words til I found it !Worse problem was when the battery was turning my VFR over but it wouldn't fire up. Dealer found that mice had nested in the engine compartment and decided to eat a few leads etc. The buggers also ate the leads on my Optimate last year. !

Cheers Judge.  By putting the bike into gear I suddenly realised that the netural light hadn't been on (although it had been in netrual as I had been pushing it in and out of the garage).  Put it back into netrual, light comes on, bike fires up first time!  Must be some safety thing that doesn't allow you fire the bike up when it doesn't think you are in netrual and the clutch is out...I'm off out for a ride...

did this on my BB - only I was away from home and ended up calling the RAC.  How embarrassing when he knelt by the side stand and wiggled a wire - the neutral light came on instantly and bike started up when asked.  Was a tad disappointed as we'd scraped a very thick amount of ice of the bike to get going, and I was kinda looking forward to a warm lift home Hope you had a good ride

smixxy wrote (see)

did this on my BB - only I was away from home and ended up calling the RAC.  How embarrassing when he knelt by the side stand and wiggled a wire - the neutral light came on instantly and bike started up when asked.  Was a tad disappointed as we'd scraped a very thick amount of ice of the bike to get going, and I was kinda looking forward to a warm lift home Hope you had a good ride

*Cough*

Insanity wrote (see)

smixxy wrote (see)

*Cough*

do you need a strepsil for that cough dear???

I had a similar problem on my SV650  - which led me to this forum in search of an answer. I came home from work today, turned the engine off, went and opened my drive gate, and when I got back on the bike to start it, absolutely nothing. No clicking, just silent. I checked the obvious like kill switch etc but couldn't figure it out. It turned out to be the plug on the clutch had dropped out of the socket on the clutch lever so the bike didn't recognise that I was holding the clutch in when starting.  This must have happened going over a bump on the way home. Hope this helps someone else.

Hi guys, Ive just fitted a second hand engine to a ZZR 1100 (C)engine.Starter only seems to want to engauge on the odd occasion thus not turning the engine. The starter is testing fine and jumping through a good battery. Sterter just seems to spin or at least it sounds like it. Do these things have a starter clutch and if so how difficult is it to change. Thanks

Got the same problem zzr1100 1999 . Faint clicking under the tank, stripped her down , clicking is coming from the fuel pump, gave the starter a good tap. Now I get a louder clicking from the fuel pump. Question is could it be the fuel pump solenoid, fuel pump, starter, I'm now running out of options, battery is fully charged, Now doing a full service but she won't turn over,,,, HELP

Not sure that sounds like the same problem at all TBH... The faint clicking of the fuel pump is probably perfectly normal - they make a clicking noise when pumping fuel to prime the system. Trace the wire back up from the starter motor to the starter solenoid. If it IS clicking then either you've got a bad connection or the solenoid, battery or starter motor is goosed. If it ISN'T clicking then the start signal isn't getting to it. That can be caused by many things but the most likely are a dodgy connection or switch in the interlock circuits - neutral switch, side-stand switch & clutch switch. In the mean time - how long have you had the bike, when did the problem start and what are the actual symptoms, you haven't mentioned whether or not the engine is turning over. I've assumed it's not, but you haven't actually said so...  

Same problem from me. The fuse box makes a buzzing sound when the starter is activated. No starter motor firing up. Out now to try rocking the bike to see if that works. I replaced thesolenoid a few months a ago and bike fired up since replacement.