'88 yam fzr genesis exup 400 import, de-restrictor needed

1 post / 0 new
'88 yam fzr genesis exup 400 import, de-restrictor needed

hey guys an gals, i bought an fzr 400 a few months ago from an auto jumble for very little cash. the guy said it hadn t run for a few years but it started, had the key an relivant paperwork. did a lot to it over the few months an then it was time for first test run.  the performance was fluxxing so my mate got it back in the workshop an we went, again, through the plugs an leads, then to the exup valve. this was not working, it was shut, i was convinced this was gonna be the prob, but it still ran like crap, shutting down at 80kph. so we went online. discovered that in japan, the speed limit is 80kph an all their motors get restricted to this limit, that i would need a de restrictor for the bike. so looked some more on line only to discover this item, for my model of bike, is now discontinued. also found out that if i change the speedo ( cos the restrictor is mounted in the back of the speedo?) this will bugger the idu. can any one advise me or point me in the direction of a de restrictor. any help/advice would be gratefully received. i d love to get this bike sorted, it feels great to ride, its my first bike an i ve grown really attached to it- stupidly!