750 SRAD camchain woes

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
750 SRAD camchain woes

Hi All,

My '97 GSXR 750 SRAD has suddenly developed a really noisy camchain-like rattle that is worse when cold. It started suddenly, definitely not a noise that's been building up over a period of time.

Obviously, the first suspect was the CCT, so I replaced it with a manual one and reset the tension in the chain - no difference at all!

What else is likely to be worth checking? Is it maybe not the camchain at all?

I haven't reopened the camcover to inspect, but is it possible to extract both tensioner blades without removing the head? (Haynes say head has to come off to remove front blade - is this true?)

Thanks,

Eric.

Cam chain rattles develop overtime as they stretch or as the tensioner gets tired.You set the tension manually ? How ?Top end rattles could be many things.

As an ex despatch rider and by default, the owner of several CX500's I know a fucked camchain when I hear one! This is different in that the engine was completely rattle-free one minute then clattering like a 150k mile maggot motor the next!

If you sure its the cam chain then you've lost tension somewhere. Either the CCT has been incorrectly installed or badly set or a blade has slipped or broken.

What do you think the likelihood is of the tensioner blade breaking or slipping past the chain is? I'm pretty confident that the CCT is fitted and adjusted correctly, if only because the noise is the same after as before, i.e. no worse! Slightly odd that the noise is very considerably less when the motor is hot than when cold.Apart from this, the bike runs as normal, no loss of performance at all.

eric_mavor wrote

What do you think the likelihood is of the tensioner blade breaking or slipping past the chain is? I'm pretty confident that the CCT is fitted and adjusted correctly, if only because the noise is the same after as before, i.e. no worse! Slightly odd that the noise is very considerably less when the motor is hot than when cold.Apart from this, the bike runs as normal, no loss of performance at all.

Just because its unlikely doesnt mean it hasnt and doesnt happen.The temp issue is why i was suspecting something else rather than the camchain.I would be very tempted to get the rocker cover off and check things over before something bad happens.Top end noise when cold is usually valve clearances but then again, not something which just happens overnight.Things which happen overnight is almost always something slipping, breaking or becoming dislodged. Maybe a bolt losening slowly overtime and finally letting go.Depending on the type of tensioner you've installed, you can try and push it out an extra click or two (not force though) and see if anything changes. Your call on that one though.

Psyching myself up for a delve into the SRAD's bowels this weekend...! I understand that there was a manufacturers recall on this particular model year, in which a later type blade (wider I think) and tensioner were fitted, wonder if mine didn't get it...

Good luck. Hopefully it will be obvious. If your going to get into it you might as well check things like clearances too.

apparently Suzuki have made an upgraded auto tensioner, they cost around £80, and are supposed to stop tensioner problems...I'm looking into getting one installed in the next month or so...haven't had any tensioner problems on my SRAD, but haven't done many miles on it yet since getting it...getting a slight ticking noise from the top end of the engine, but is probably nothing to worry about...am used to the old oil cooled gsxr's, much easier to live with, no cam chain tensioner problems at all, but nothing like as fast as an SRAD...