Kawasaki W800

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kawasaki W800

My wife has changed bikes from a Yam XJ6 Divi to a Kwak W800. Has anyone any ideas on how/if touring equipment can be fitted to this bike, and who makes same. On the Yam I fitted Givi panniers. BUT she could not live with the bike, hence the change. We do tour so realisticly the kit needs to be waterproof. ANY ideas would be appreciated, as I don't fancy carrying all the luggage on my bike.

Know there are bits for the W650 so would assume they are available for the W800, be worth popping into a Kwak dealer to see what they recommend then try and find the bits on the web cheaper

Here's a link to Givi's fitting kits for the W800 - linky ( http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/?ma=KAWASAKI&mo=W-800-11 ). Looks like the PL4101 kit will take normal Givi panniers.

For some reason I can't hyperlink on this forum. Just google Givi and scroll down to 'fitting kits'.

Doesn't look like there's a topbox fitting for the W800.

There's a lot of interest in the W800 from other message boards, it seems to suggest that they're pitching the bike at trendy London types who want a retro-cool commuter for the city.  With an authentic-looking air-cooled 773cc parallel twin motor, twin rear shocks and pea-shooter

A friend of mine bought a brand new W800 a year ago it has 1400 miles on it and he has had it stored in dry storage at his home for the winter period ,he brought it out into the sunshine yesterday and had a nasty shock,the lacquer is peeling of the engine casings ,the chrome is rusting badly ,the fork stanchions are corroding as are the rocker covers this machine has never been ridden during the winter so salt corrosion is not an issue the silencers are rough as if the have been plated over weld spatter ,does anyone else have any similar problems with corrosion on this model ? The dealer he purchased the bike from is not very hope full of a warranty claim even though the bike is covered by a two year warranty....any Ideas?

sav man wrote (see)

A friend of mine bought a brand new W800 a year ago it has 1400 miles on it and he has had it stored in dry storage at his home for the winter period ,he brought it out into the sunshine yesterday and had a nasty shock,the lacquer is peeling of the engine casings ,the chrome is rusting badly ,the fork stanchions are corroding as are the rocker covers this machine has never been ridden during the winter so salt corrosion is not an issue the silencers are rough as if the have been plated over weld spatter ,does anyone else have any similar problems with corrosion on this model ? The dealer he purchased the bike from is not very hope full of a warranty claim even though the bike is covered by a two year warranty....any Ideas?

That is strange. Did your friend apply a protective coating before storing? Isn't that the 101 of bikes?

2500 miles and never been out in the winter. Well I have just brought my W800 out of its winter storage in a reasonably warm and dry garage and guess what? Very rusty mudguards that I will have to strip down and paint underneath. Pitted forks that may last another season before they need painting. Lots of surface corrosion on minor brackets. Some evdence of the lacquer starting to come off the casings Centre and side stands need to come off and be painted properly. As for the lovely stainless spokes, don't get me started. Such a shame that the build quality is so poor. I don't realistically think that it would have survived winter use in any reasonable shape at all. I have had many bikes over the years and this ranks amongst the worst for sub standard finish. Might be ok if you live in the tropics.

Yes it is interesting because there are so many attractive feature this model have so it will be great if you can experience of it.