Thinking of buying a Suzuki GSXR 1000 K5 OR Yamaha R1 2009

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thinking of buying a Suzuki GSXR 1000 K5 OR Yamaha R1 2009

I had a Suzuki GSXR 1000 K5 and sold it a few years ago as I didn't use it much on the road. I miss Track days and the occasional blast on the road and am thinking of buying a GSXR 1000 K5/K6 as it was a great bike. I currently have a BMW R1200 GSA that I use for the road and 2 up. I am thinking that I have "been there done that," (but it was a great bike) so is it a case of had the bike and move on to a Yamaha R1 2009 (crossplane model), but am not sure about the R1 as I have never ridden one.
Any feedback from anyone who has had a K5/K6 OR 2009 R1 would be appreciated.

K5 or R1
I've not owned either bike Viking but you've definitely got a tough decision to make - two legendary iterations of two legendary superbikes. If it was me, I'd be tempted to go for the Yam based on the fact that it's a bit more modern and looks better.
The Suzuki is more exciting,

The Suzuki is more exciting, without a shadow of a doubt. The Yam is incredibly smooth and both are superbly built and reliable. However that K5 engine....It's a beast of Godzilla proportions. I'm still waiting for Suzuki to man up and shoehorn in an uneutered one in a naked.

I've had a 2009 R1 for 2

I've had a 2009 R1 for 2 years now and initially I found it less exciting than the revvier 2008 model that I crashed before it.

The R1 has extremely high gearing and due to the smooth power delivery it was harder to get those frenetic kicks that the old bike seemed to dish out (and, I suspect, the K5 dished out too).

That said, I dropped the gearing quite a bit and now I love the thing. I've gone 2 teeth up on the rear sprocket and down 1 tooth on the front and it's like a different bike. It's lively and snappy on the throttle and the front comes up whenever I want it to. It does feel quite grown up though in a way that my GSXR600 K1 didn't. If the K5 GSXR1000 (which I've not ridden) has the noisy DNA of that previous GSXR then I would think it would be the more exciting bike.