suzuki burgman 400

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
suzuki burgman 400

any good, lemmings is thinking of buying one.

sposed to be good if you like that kind of thing

spoke to a fella who was using one for a bit of couriering in and around bristol. worked for hays dropping off small parcels.he said it was great, nippy enough round town and not to wimpish on the motorway ( he only ever used it on the m5 J16/19, m4 J18/19, and the M32. fuel ecomony was good and insurance was cheap. i had a quick fart around on it around the depot and it was a laugh, dont think i would want one full time though

Most riders seem to fit the Malossi variator to get over the glitch in the transmission just after opening the throttle, although this can be ignored - Givi make the aftermarket screen of choice if you are tall - although shorter riders find the standard Suzuki screen OK. Givi top box almost requires a 'Long Vehicle' tag!There can be problems with the rear wheel carrier - early versions corrode to the wheel - making removing the wheel a nightmare and requiring replacement before reassembly, some bikes (but not all) suffer from carb icing - there is a Suzuki mod for this, the silencer seems to corrode from the inside - aftermarket pipes are cheaper than the Suzuki fitment. The finish is 'Suzuki standard'.All said owners seem to LOVE 'em. 'Twist and Go' journalist Paul Blezard has written several articles for the magazine detailing all these faults and he still raves about his. HTHThe Silver Wing is better

I own both a Burgman 400 and a SilverWing 600 scooter. On the Motorway, the 'Wing wins hands down, but when it comes to filtering through slow / stationary moving traffic in town, the lightness of the Burger wins for me.The Burger wing mirrors are wide but give a good rear view. It's got good storage space, good weather protection and a comfy riding position. Mine's just coming up to the 15k mile mark. Swap either the Burger or the 'Wing for a 'real' bike? Er, no thanks!

Learner wrote

On the Motorway, the 'Wing wins hands down, but when it comes to filtering through slow / stationary moving traffic in town, the lightness of the Burger wins for me.!

Blimey Learner! - have you tried it on a 'real' bike? Even the 'Wing is a cinch in comparison (All to do with the joys of a CVT - no clutch and loads of twist and go... You can concentrate more on the ride)Point taken about the lightness - the Burger is 20(ish)kg lighter than the 'Wing. (Mind you the Whopper is a stunning 50kg heavier than it's little bro'. Phew!)

Nothing wrong with a burgervan mate, park up in a layby with a few bits of cardboard in a hedge just up the road telling people where you are, get some food down the cash n carry and yer well away.

FJSRiDER wrote

Blimey Learner! - have you tried it on a 'real' bike? Even the 'Wing is a cinch in comparison (All to do with the joys of a CVT - no clutch and loads of twist and go... You can concentrate more on the ride)

Blimey! Must admit, I haven't done much filtering on a 'real' bike and don't fancy doing a lot of it either; All that change up, change down, change up, change down nonsense - I'm far too lazy for that

Mind you the Whopper is a stunning 50kg heavier than it's little bro'. Phew!) [/B][/color]

Know a bloke who toured europe last year with his missus pillion on a Burgman 400 - says it was no problem at all, except that it makes you invisible and people pull out on you all the time 'cos you're on a scoot!

Zimbo wrote

Know a bloke who toured europe last year with his missus pillion on a Burgman 400 - says it was no problem at all, except that it makes you invisible and people pull out on you all the time 'cos you're on a scoot!

I agree with the first part, Zimbo, but not the second. The Burger is hard to distinguish from a standard tourer from the front. FJSRider's summary was fair. I love my Burgman, despite chronic starting problems in cold weather. Some suffer from this, others don't. I've got all the accessories, and definitely rate the Givi screen and the Malossi variator upgrade. The bike's good in town, but comes into its own on the open road. You wouldn't believe it was a scooter And how many bikes can you get 7 bags of shopping into/onto?

Coming in on the tail end of this conversation about Burgman scooter/bike/whatever.I've just bought a 2000 version 400 and love it.  I've owned Deauvilles, Magnas, CX500 and none compare with ride quality and weather protection.  And as a previous writer said, they are great if you are lazy.  Twist 'n' go.  Who needs all that kicking up and down.  Acceleration is comparible with many so called 'proper' bikes and a lot less fussing about to get going.Obviously, only just buying it now in June, I've still to find out what cold weather usage and starting problems I may envisage.My only negative point to owning a Burgman is that as mine is an older model, it seems a little sluggish to fire up when warm, and actually needs a little throttle to get her to come to life, which is obviously dodgy when you have no neutral.  So you have to be real careful to not engage the drive by throttling the thing too much.  Fun times!But to sum up, I'd say it was a good buy, so far.  Only time will tell if I change my mind.Phizzyt

I have a Burgi 400 on a 55 plate. Best thing I ever owned. Went to St Malo, France last year from S Yorks. Didn't faulter at all. Mines a rare speckled black and when bought at 3yrs old only had 300mile on the clock. It hadn't been used for 3yrs and after a new battery started first time. Fitted a multi electric socket in the glove box that charges my phone and powers a sat nav. I have the GIVI screen, although at high speeds this tends to create a wind push from behind you. Brill at slow speeds <60. The Suzi screen is better for high speeds. I've also fitted Oxford heated grips as I tend to use the Burgi all year round. As I see one comment, brill for shopping...

I bought my first Burgman, a 1999 400, 5 months ago.  I'd fancied one for years and suddenly realised that they bwere in my price range. Just one problem:  when I start the engine it will cut out when I put the lights on or flash the passing light switch, also sometimes when I use the indicators.  I have a commute on a very busy twisty A road and having the engine die on me is not ideal.  The guy from whom I bought it - Pete Hutchings in Deal, Kent, has fitted a new battery and a new regulator but it's failed to cure the problem.  He told me not to get "humpty" with him about it but it's a dangerous fault and I want it fixed!  Any ideas, anyone?ThanksNick D.

hi on the thread about starting and needing a little throttle to do so it should be no problem when it is on the main stand i usually fire mine up and let it get warm enough for the auto choke to back of before i drop it of the stand it could be the mixture a little off perfect or even a dirty air cleaner