Culture Shock (MZ ETZ 251)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Culture Shock (MZ ETZ 251)

OK, not sure if it quite makes it as a classic bike, but I figure it's better suited here than the main forums, anyone ever rode one?
I'm currently riding my little 125, quite happy on it, it's a Hartford hd125s. Brand new when I first got it, good handling, and just general all round awesome learner bike.
However when I pass my test (which will hopefully be soon) rather than buy a new slightly bigger bike for my restricted years, I'm going to be jumping onto dad's MZ ETZ 251.
So, obviously I know it's not going to be what I'm used to as far as responsiveness etc, but, from your experience, exactly how much of a culture shock is this going to be?

Well,...if you pardon the expression...Suck it and see..... They are pretty crude and robust.....Fun in an 'alternative' way.Not as economic as the myth.....Not fast, but quite a friendly beast...After a 125 I think you might quite like it.....Nige.

They handle brilliantly IMHO, nice and forgoving and you can have a lot of fun on one with good tyres. Bad side is that spares are dear and the motor ain't too robust when thrashed.

Yeah, dad was saying the handling would be good, he did have the "flying banana" for a while (not sure if that's hid nickname for it or a universal one!) and loved using that round all the nice twisty country lanes!Obviously i'm not looking for a super whizzy bike just yet, I'm figuring I'll save my money till after my 2 years under restriction. Apart from anything else truth be told I'll only be on 2 wheels for 6 months of that cos I'm going away for half of my gap year, and I probably won't take the bike to uni!Thanks for the responses, just wanted to know roughly what to expect!

Massive MZ fan here, I have a MZ150 ETZ and a MZ Saxon 301 and love both bikes. Amazing machine off road and on road, reliable as F.. been abusing them big time myself and nothing has broken other than a chain. Had the 301 engine completely under water and it still ding ding'd along without trouble.Handle very well, great fun doing wheelies etc vastly undervalued bike IMO.I'm after another Saxon 301 to convert into a full off roader.You can thrash them all day long (the 1990 onwards with western bearings and seals) just use top quality 2 stroke oil and ding a ding ding on this true classic.

abjectblitz wrote

Massive MZ fan here, I have a MZ150 ETZ and a MZ Saxon 301 and love both bikes. Amazing machine off road and on road, reliable as F.. been abusing them big time myself and nothing has broken other than a chain. Had the 301 engine completely under water and it still ding ding'd along without trouble.Handle very well, great fun doing wheelies etc vastly undervalued bike IMO.I'm after another Saxon 301 to convert into a full off roader.You can thrash them all day long (the 1990 onwards with western bearings and seals) just use top quality 2 stroke oil and ding a ding ding on this true classic.

How much are they worth?I have a 301 N plate=95 Iam the second owner and its got about 27000KMs on the clock.Its been used all year and is'nt pristine but then it's no wreck,just that a bloke I know is interested in buying it and I have'nt a clue what to ask for it.

tony954 wrote

How much are they worth?I have a 301 N plate=95 Iam the second owner and its got about 27000KMs on the clock.Its been used all year and is'nt pristine but then it's no wreck,just that a bloke I know is interested in buying it and I have'nt a clue what to ask for it.

Mint late models go for around £500-600 so around £300-400?

Cheers for that bit of info Tony

Well, I will make sure I take photos and come on here to pester you folks for info when I finally make the progression! Sadly it's a case of finding the time, I'm in my last year of college, so I have enough exams to be revising for without worrying about passing a bike test Otherwise I'd be on the MZ in a matter of weeks.You damn MZ fans, you've made me really eager to give it a go now!

Good luck when the day comes, I'm sure you will have a blast on the MZ before you get hunger for a crotch rocket. Enjoy it for what it is, an extremely light versatile machine that is a dodle to maintain and great fun to thrash on A road as well as going mad jumping over hills offroading.[SIZE="3"][SIZE="1"]I kinda rode the MZ's way before I had past my DAS [/SIZE][/SIZE]:burnout:

abjectblitz wrote

I'm after another Saxon 301 to convert into a full off roader..

what do you do to 'em?is it like a Purple Helmet's C90 :smoke:

motopat wrote

what do you do to 'em?is it like a Purple Helmet's C90 :smoke:

Get rid off all the road going stuff, knobbly tires, enduro exhaust and raised mudguards and off you go.

I have an etz 250 and whant to change for more off road cabalility.It's here someone that did this operation or have ideas?

mz etz 125cc breaking for sparesexhaust head barel and piston carbmud guards handle barsleversair box / filterpetrol tank oil tankmany parts avalible 07826564802 uk postage avalible