Aprilia RS 125 Gearbox Porblem

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aprilia RS 125 Gearbox Porblem

Hi all, I'm posting this up for a mate who isnt a member.

OK so my mate had a low speed off on his RS 125 a little while ago, it landed on its left hand side snapping the gear leaver. He said after he dropped it that he couldnt get it out of gear and after putting a new gear leaver on it, it still wouldnt budge.

He has now put it into a garage who have said he has snapped some cable inside the gearbox (I havent got a clue what this cable is, can anyone help!). The garage, which is an Aprilia dealer has quoted him £700 to do the repairs, does this sound right? as they have said they have to take the engine apart to do it.

In the same breath they offered him £200 for the bike as it is which he has politely told them where to go

Basically, What I want to know is what this cable might be and if the repair quote he has is fair or not as it seems bloody high to me.

Cheers

Si

I can't think what this cable is either; especially one that cost £700 to fix. I'd call a couple non-Aprilia bike shops and see what they'd charge to do it.Hs's probably just bent the selector rod - the one that goes into the engine casing - and should be a pretty easy fix, so not sure why so expensive.Does he have the facilities to strip the engine himself?

Only cable I can think of is the clutch cable and that doesn't cost £700 to change.Try www.pjme.co.uk I think a full engine rebuild is less that £700 including parts.

I made him get a written quote from the shop before agreeing to any work which he did.It seems its not a cable at all but the gear barrel or something (Sorry it was a couple of hours and a couple of beers since I saw it ). They broke the quote up for him so it looks a little more clear.Basically they are gonna do a stripdown and rebuild, 7 hours labor @ £46 an hour (im in the wrong job ) plus various other bits and pieces including £93 for a gasket set.They have also included the price of recovering the bike and the time looking at it s I guess its all about right. He's then gotta find the money to replace all the plastics he broke at the same time Cheers for the replys peeps, much appreciated

simeski wrote

including £93 for a gasket set.

Full gasket set is under £30.www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/RS125.html

dnt listen to all that 7 hours loubour bullshit !takes me under two hours to split ur engine if its a 122theirs two soft steel rods that sit with 3 gear changers on them and its a common problem when u bin your bike on a lefthand bend 4 you gearbox to jam up giz a ring on this numba if you need any more advice and al explain in more depth m8 07984124045DONT PAY ANYMORE THAN 200 QUID PARTS AND  LAUBOUR

hi i own an aprillia rx 125 and the gears dont seem to be conecting and i have lost nowtral and everytime i try to put it in 1st it seems to get it then just slip and lost 2nd gear but 3rd and the others works fine can any1 help rite bk please

Hi, Please Help I've just bought a RS 125 GP-1 2004 model and can only sellect two gears, also the oil level was really low, but there was no sign off a leak. I topped up the oil and still no joy.ThanksGaryth

stantybwoi wrote (see)

hi i own an aprillia rx 125 and the gears dont seem to be conecting and i have lost nowtral and everytime i try to put it in 1st it seems to get it then just slip and lost 2nd gear but 3rd and the others works fine can any1 help rite bk please

You'll probably get a much better response if you start a new thread rather than piggy-backing an old one like this.

Thriller wrote (see)

Hi, Please Help I've just bought a RS 125 GP-1 2004 model and can only sellect two gears, also the oil level was really low, but there was no sign off a leak. I topped up the oil and still no joy.ThanksGaryth

A new thread is needed, my friend. People don't always read to the end of old ones.

hi there guys could some one shed some lite on this :i was doing 45 mph changed down from 5th to 4th then clattering sounds from the engine back wheel locked up and cant select any gears yet when pulling the clutch it appears to be firm and fine?? the bike will also not turn over could this be a gear box issue as i had whirring sounds in second gear the day before ???

hi there.i just droped my bike by axidnet in the car park the bar that keeps the front fairing together with the mirrors are bent how do i bend it back

Do you fucking idiots never learn (or read through the posts)? FFS - if it's a new problem, start a new thread, don't just piggy-back it on to a geriatric thread from three years ago. What the fuck has a bent fairing bracket got to do with a major gearbox problem???And what's an "axidnet"? "Droped" - did you mean doped or dropped? Once again I despair.Oh - and in answer to your question - take it to bits and hit it with a big hammer. But you knew that already.

somthing is wrong wiit my rs125 its a 2008 my vin ZF6LY00038Z005777plaese help

Many Thanks ApriliaBoi......I Think You May Mean Boy Btw.......Any Way Thanks For The Chassis Number..... Your Bike Has Now Been Cloned......Ebay On Monday

i took off from the lights on my rs125 2001 and the back wheel locked as i got it into 2nd and now when its in gear the abck wheel is solid will move in netarul like ?? thanks boys