THE future of MotoGP took place today as the 1000cc bikes for 2012 underwent testing at the Brno circuit, at the close of the day the upper hand went to Honda and Casey Stoner as a time set in the last hour edged them ahead of the Yamaha of Jorge Lorenzo.
The dawn of the 1000s, in the first timed public test, saw lap times quicker than fastest lap set in the race on Sunday. Setting a 1:56.168 on the 1000cc Honda, the time of Stoner was quicker than the pole time of Dani Pedrosa and the circuit lap record of 1:56.670, logged by Lorenzo in 2009.
0.085 separated Lorenzo from his championship rival Stoner, as the Spaniard completed his first test on the 2012 Yamaha. Ben Spies was first to debut the new Yamaha. Setting his quickest time in the morning before the 1pm lunch-break and his lap stood till the close of the session. The Texan immediately gelled with the 1000cc M1, completing a lap time quicker than what he accomplished on the 800.
Dani Pedrosa got his first experience with the 'RC213V' after missing the Jerez test due to the injuries suffered at the French GP, the Spaniard managed the 6th quickest time behind the 1000 and 800cc times of the Yamahas.
Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden spent the day swapping between the GP11 and GP11.1 variations. The Italain was reportedly focussed on next year, as crew member Alex Briggs joked on Twitter that Jeremy Burgess was cramming two years worth of testing into one day. Fellow Ducati rider, Nicky Hayden found form on the GP11.1 by taking a quicker time that what he managed on the 2011 Desmosedici.
The hardest worker of the day goes to Mika Kallio on the BMW S1000R engined--Suter CRT machine. The Finn completed 81 laps and displayed some hope for the secondary bikes that will compete in MotoGP next season by closing the gap to the factories to 3.9, instead of over six seconds away from the fastest 800 time from Mugello test in June.
Full times from the end of the MotoGP Brno test:
Position / Rider / Team / Capacity / Time / Gap to rider infront / Gap to leader / Laps completed
1. Casey Stoner Repsol Honda Team (1000cc) 1:56.168 57
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing (1000cc) 1:56.253 +0.085 +0.085 28
3. Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing (1000cc) 1:56.306 +0.053 +0.138 24
4. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing 1:56.727 +0.421 +0.559 58
5. Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing 1:57.184 +0.457 +1.016 15
6. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team (1000cc) 1:57.264 +0.080 +1.096 37
7. Nicky Hayden Ducati Team 1:57.616 +0.269 +1.365 78
8. Cal Crutchlow Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:57.591 +0.058 +1.423 74
9. Toni Elias LCR Honda 1:57.903 +0.312 +1.735 56
10. Valentino Rossi Ducati Team 1:58.266 +0.363 +2.098 74
11. Loris Capirossi Pramac Racing 1:58.387 +0.121 +2.219 66
12. Colin Edwards Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:58.492 +0.105 +2.324 44
13. Mika Kallio Marc VDS Racing Team (Suter 1000cc CRT) 2:00.144 +1.652 +3.976 81