TESTING for next year's Moto2 season started at Valencia yesterday with Pol Espargaró leading the timesheets in his first ride on the Pons-Kalex machine.
Wednesday was the first of three days of private testing at the Spanish circuit, giving a number of riders their first opportunity to sample their new bikes for 2012. Amongst the riders was 125cc World Champion Nico Terol, who is stepping up to the intermediate class with the Aspar team and Gino Rea, who rode the Gresini bike - the young Brit is close to penning a deal with the Italian team for next season.
The top three positions were held by Kalex bikes, the younger Espargaró brother ahead of Sito Pons' other new signing Esteve Rabat. Scott Redding was third on his Kalex bike, the Marc Vds squad have switched to the German chassis builders hoping the bike will suit Redding's tall frame.
Unofficial times from Wednesday (recorded by teams):
1. Pol Espargaró 1'36.0 (56 laps)
2. Esteve Rabat 1'36.2 (49 laps)
2. Scott Redding 1'36.2 (69 laps)
4. Andrea Iannone 1'36.8 (67 laps)
5. Aleix Espargaró 1'37.3 (36 laps)
5. Gino Rea 1'37.3 (77 laps)
7. Mika Kallio 1'37.6 (62 laps)
8. Johann Zarco 1'37.7 (80 laps)
9. Claudio Corti 1'37.8 (81 laps)
9. Ángel Rodríguez 1'37.8 (81 laps)
11. Ratthapark Wilairot 1'38.2 (55 laps)
11. Alessandro Andreozzi 1'38.2 (58 laps)
13. Takaaki Nakagami 1'38.3 (41 laps)
14. Nico Terol 1'40.4 (53 laps)
15. Jonas Folger 1'40.6 (85 laps)
16. Eric Granado 1'41.2 (50 laps)