THE British Grand Prix saw Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez take his eleventh grand prix win on the 2014 season.
Despite his best efforts and leading the race from the start, Jorge Lorenzo was unable to keep Marquez at bay. The young Spaniard gave Yamaha’s Lorenzo two opportunities to retake the lead after two mistakes, but was unable to take advantage.
Marquez and Lorenzo battled it out whilst Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi had a front row seat to the show. Marquez made a harsh move on Lorenzo forcing him to sit up after he’d tipped into the corner, but the 21-year-old crossed the line 0.732 seconds ahead.
Rossi finished in third as Marquez took the Italian’s record of winning eleven MotoGP races in one season. However, ‘The Doctor’ has now set a new record by having 246 starts in the premier class of Grand Prix racing.
Andrea Dovizioso started from the front row and held onto the leading back, but unfortunately was unable to make it onto the podium and instead finished in fifth behind Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa.
Rookie Pol Espargaro finished in sixth after battling with LCR Honda’s Stefan Bradl and Pramac Racing’s Andrea Iannone. Pol’s older brother Aleix finished in ninth for NGM Forward Racing whilst Briton’s Scott Redding completed the top ten.
Disappointing race from Brit Cal Crutchlow as he finished down in 12th. Fellow British rider Bradley Smith also had issues and pulled into the pits due to ‘rear end problems’. He eventually finished out of the ponts in 22nd.
Alvaro Bautista was the only rider to crash out after he was hunting for a top 10 finish.
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team 40:51.835
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 40:52.567 (+0.732)
3. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 41:0.354 (+8.519)
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 41:0.529 (+8.694)
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team 41:1.073 (+9.238)
6. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 41:16.581 (+24.746)
7. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda MotoGP 41:8.552 (+26.717)
8. Andrea Iannone ITA Pramac Racing 41:18.745 (+26.910)
9. Aleix Espargaro* ESP NGM Forward Racing 41:25.290 (+33.455)
10. Scott Redding* GBR Go&Fun Honda Gresini 41:30.929 (+39.094)
11. Yonny Hernandez COL Pramac Racing 41:32.090 (+40.255)
12. Cal Crutchlow GBR Ducati Team 41:34.862 (+43.027)
13. Karel Abraham* CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 41:44.080 (+52.245)
14. Hiroshi Aoyama* JPN Drive M7 Aspar 41:50.816 (+58.981)
15. Alex De Angelis* RSM NGM Forward Racing 41:50.999 (+59.164)
16. Leon Camier* GBR Drive M7 Aspar 41:57.515 (+1:05.680)
17. Michael Laverty* GBR Paul Bird Motorsport 42:2.774 (+1:10.939)
18. Danilo Petrucci* ITA IodaRacing Project 42:8.669 (+1:16.834)
19. Hector Barbera* ESP Avintia Racing 42:8.739 (+1:16.904)
20. Mike Di Meglio FRA Avintia Racing 42:26.774 (+1:34.939)
21. Broc Parkes AUS Paul Bird Motorsport 42:30.277 (+1:38.442)
22. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 +1 lap
DNF.Alvaro Bautista ESP Go&Fun Honda Gresini