JORGE LORENZO has set the pace on the opening day of practice at Misano putting in a rapid 1:33.929 for the San Marino GP.
The factory Yamaha rider upped the lap times from the morning session as the only rider to break into the 33 second barrier, he also managed a commanding series of laps in the low 1:34s bracket.
Championship rival Casey Stoner got the closest to Lorenzo, finishing 0.076 seconds behind him. Dani Pedrosa followed with the third quickest time ahead of Marco Simoncelli who edged Ben Spies for fourth by a mere 0.025, the American was the rider to be within a second of fast lap of the reigning champion.
Combined times from the FP1 and FP2
1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Yamaha Factory Racing 1:33.929
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Repsol Honda Team 1:34.005
3. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1:34.205
4. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1:34.444
5. Ben Spies (USA) Yamaha Factory Racing 1:34.466
6. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 1:34.989
7. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1:35.023
8. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 1:35.111
9. Hiroshi Aoyama (JPN) Repsol Honda Team 1:35.282
10. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:35.301
11. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Ducati Team 1:35.331
12. Randy De Puniet (FRA) Pramac Racing Team 1:35.418
13. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Team 1:35.419
14. Karel Abraham (CZE) Cardion AB Motoracing 1:35.423
15. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:35.622
16. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Pramac Racing Team 1:35.826
17. Toni Elias (SPA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1:36.19