MILWAUKEE Yamaha’s Josh Brookes has continued his winning ways at Thruxton moving seven points ahead of Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne in the championship standings.
The Australian led the way from John Hopkins and Luke Mossey, but Dan Linfoot began to make a move and by lap four he was pushing Brookes for the lead.
A red flag was shown when Richard Cooper’s Anvil Hire TAG Kawasaki’s engine blew up in front of James Ellison and Christian Iddon causing both of them to crash out of contention. Iddon was able to make the re-start, but Ellison was confirmed to have a broken wrist and was forced to sit out the remainer of the day.
Hopkins hit the front of the re-started race with Brookes and Linfoot close behind. It wasn’t long until the American contender was being closed down by the Australian. The trio broke away from the rest of the field and Brookes made his move to the front at Club on the third lap.
Hopkins and Linfoot both pushed hard to defeat the Australian, however it was a disappointing end to the race for the Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati team as 'Hopper' was forced to retire with a technical problem.
Linfoot held onto second behind Brookes whilst a seven-way battle began for the final podium position as Byrne carevd his way through on-board his PBM Kawasaki.
James Westmoreland had been leading the fight for third from Byrne, Danny Buchan, Howie Mainwaring, Tommy Bridewell, Luke Mossey and Jack Kennedy as they continued to swap positions throughout the laps trying to gain an advantage.
Westmoreland had the edge on the final lap and the lone JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider pushed ahead of Byrne as Buchan and Bridewell battled on. As the pack headed down to Club chicane for the final time it was Buchan who crashed out collecting Bridewell in the process.
Westmoreland had held on to claim his first podium finish from Byrne, Quattro Plant Kawasaki team-mates Mainwaring and Mossey with Jack Kennedy scoring seventh for Team WD-40 Kawasaki. Billy McConnell, Michael Laverty and Martin Jessopp completed the top 10.
Race one results:
1. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee Yamaha
2. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing +4.479
3. James Westmoreland GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki +9.802
4. Shane Byrne GBR PBM Kawasaki +14.134
5. Howie Mainwaring GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki +14.347
6. Luke Mossey GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki +14.778
7. Jack Kennedy IRE Team WD-40 Kawasaki +14.936
8. Billy McConnell AUS Smiths Racing BMW +15.223
9. Michael Laverty GBR Tyco BMW +16.146
10. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Motorcycles BMW +16.356
11. Filip Backlund GBR Anvil Hire TAG Racing Kawasaki +16.553
12. Adam Jenkinson AUS Milwaukee Yamaha +16.984
13. Ian Hutchinson GBR PBM Kawasaki +17.125
14. Josh Waters AUS Bennetts Suzuki +17.226
15. Chris Walker GBR Be Wiser Kawasaki +25.082
16. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki +39.968
17. Aaron Zanotti GBR A-Plant Yamaha +40.361
18. Barry Burrell GBR Gearlink Kawasaki +40.881
19. Danny Buchan GBR Be Wiser Kawasaki +1 lap
20. Tommy Bridewell GBR Tyco BMW +1 lap
21. Jenny Tinmouth GBR Honda Racing +2 laps
DNF.Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Buildbase BMW
DNF. John Hopkins USA Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati
DNF. Peter Hickman GBR RAF Reserves BMW
DNF. Christian Iddon GBR Bennetts Suzuki
DNF. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Racing Kawasaki