DEFENDING British Superbike champion Shane Byrne has won the opening race at Snetterton, scoring his first victory since the opening round of the season back in April.
Byrne led from pole position ahead of Jason O’Halloran, Michael Laverty and Stuart Easton. James Ellison was on the move up from 10th place on the grid, but ran on at the end of Bentley Straight on the opening lap, which meant he ended up further down the field and was later forced to retire.
The PBM Kawasaki rider continued to take control at the front while Josh Brookes on the Milwaukee Yamaha was carving his way through the order from sixth place. The Tyco BMW duo of Michael Laverty and Tommy Bridewell had their own battle between themselves, allowing Brookes to take advantage. Laverty’s race also ended prematurely due to a technical issue.
Brookes was ahead of Bridewell and into third. The Milwaukee Yamaha rider continued with a consistent pace and closed down his Honda Racing rival of O’Halloran.
Brookes was forced to settle for second after being unable to close down Byrne. O’Halloran finished in third while Bridewell finished a lonely fourth.
There was an intense scrap for fifth place with a six-way battle between Dan Linfoot, Chris Walker, Easton, team-mates Howie Mainwaring and Luke Mossey plus Richard Cooper.
The positions changed every lap over the closing stages and Linfoot held the position to claim fifth in his first race back from injury, as Walker scored his best result of the season in sixth place for the Be Wiser Kawasaki team ahead of Easton.
Mainwaring was able to get the better of his Quattro Plant Kawasaki team-mate to finish eighth with Richard Cooper complete the top 10, while a problem for Ryuichi Kiyonari meant the Buildbase BMW rider finished in 19th place.
Race one results:
1. Shane Byrne GBR PBM Kawasaki
2. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee Yamaha +2.685
3. Jason O'Halloran AUS Honda Racing +5.013
4. Tommy Bridewell GBR Tyco BMW +8.134
5. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing +14.134
6. Chris Walker GBR Be Wiser Kawasaki +14.592
7. Stuart Easton GBR PBM Kawasaki +15.454
8. Howie Mainwaring GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki +15.613
9. Luke Mossey GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki +16.029
10. Richard Cooper GBR Anvil Hire TAG Racing Kawasaki +16.478
11. Broc Parkes AUS Milwaukee Yamaha +20.316
12. Peter Hickman GBR RAF Reserves BMW +21.636
13. Danny Buchan GBR Be Wiser Kawasaki +22.780
14. Josh Waters AUS Bennetts Suzuki +24.540
15. Jack Kennedy IRE Team WD-40 Kawasaki +25.819
16. Christian Iddon GBR Bennetts Suzuki +28.855
17. Billy McConnell AUS Smiths Racing +30.962
18. Martin Jessopp GBR RidersMotorcycles BMW +37.249
19. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Buildbase BMW +44.304
20. Joe Burns GBR Joe Burns Racing Kawasaki +44.885
21. Jed Metcher AUS PR Racing Kawasaki +1:02.508
22. Jenny Tinmouth GBR Honda Racing +1:11.544
23. Lee Costello GBR Morello Racing Kawasaki +1:16.142
24. Aaron Zanotti GBR A-Plant Yamaha +1:22.908
25. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Racing Kawasaki +1:39.477
DNF. Victor Cox GBR Gearlink Kawasaki
DNF. James Ellison GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki
DNF. Michael Laverty GBR Tyco BMW
DNF. Filip Backlund GBR Anvil Hire TAG Racing Kawasaki
DNF. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki
DNF. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA Tsingtao MV Agusta F4
DNF. James Westmoreland GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki
DNF. Rhalf Lo Turco BRA SBK City Racing Kawasaki
DNF. Lee Jackson GBR Buildbase BMW
DNF. James Rose AUS Moto-Breakers Kawasaki