MILWAUKEE Yamahs’a Josh Brookes won the opening race of the British Superbike Championship Showdown in Assen to extend his advantage to 14-points in the overall standings.
The Australian led the pack from pole position from James Ellison and Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne, with John Hopkins just behind onboard the Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati.
Byrne had the first moment into the chicane which gave Hopkins the opportunity to move ahead. A lap later, PBM Kawasaki’s Byrne retaliated to reclaim third position with the company of Tyco BMW’s Michael Laverty. It wasn’t until the 13th lap that Laverty passed both Hopkins and Byrne with two moves to place himself third.
At this point, Brookes had broken away from the front and Ellison, but the battle for the final podium position became a five-way scrap between Laverty, Byrne, Hopkins, Christian Iddon and Richard Cooper.
Byrne and Hopkins traded paint in the closing stages as the defending champion set his sights on Laverty. A last lap move at the chicane put him narrowly ahead, but Laverty carved his way back on the exit to hold onto third.
Hopkins held fifth position in front of Cooper and Iddon to score his team's best result of the season .
Tommy Bridewell moved to eighth on the second of the Tyco BMWs, but has now dropped below his teammate Laverty in the overall standings. Peter Hickman and Danny Buchan completed the top 10.
1. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee Yamaha
2. James Ellison GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki +6.757
3. Michael Laverty GBR Tyco BMW +8.425
4. Shane Byrne GBR PBM Kawasaki +8.811
5. John Hopkins USA Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati +10.071
6. Richard Cooper GBR Buildbase BMW +13.145
7. Christian Iddon GBR Bennetts Suzuki +16.901
8. Tommy Bridewell GBR Tyco BMW +18.118
9. Peter Hickman GBR RAF Reserves BMW +21.541
10. Danny Buchan GBR Be Wiser Kawasaki +22.533
11. Billy McConnell AUS Smiths Racing BMW +22.656
12. Lee Jackson GBR Buildbase BMW +23.067
13. Jack Kennedy IRE Team WD-40 Kawasaki +23.347
14. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing +26.824
15. Josh Waters AUS Bennetts Suzuki +30.050
16. Jakub Smrz CZE Milwaukee Yamaha +30.059
17. Chris Walker GBR Be Wiser Kawasaki +33.813
18. Filip Backlund GBR Anvil Hire TAG Racing Kawasaki+37.350
19. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki +57.334
20. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Racing Kawasaki +1:33.490
21. Jenny Tinmouth GBR Honda Racing +1:34.488
22. Aaron Zanotti GBR A-Plant Yamaha +1:38.086
DNF. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Motorcycles BMW
DNF. Luke Mossey GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki
DNF. Jed Metcher AUS Gearlink Kawasaki
DNF. Howie Mainwaring Smart GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki