THRUXTON race one was delayed as Race Control took the brave, but ultimately correct, decision to allow the drizzly weather to either clear or worsen.
However as time to the race start ticked down, more rain caused frantic wheel changes on the grid and garages, with 90% of the grid opting for the full ‘wet’ Pirelli Diablo Rain tyres.
Tommy Hill rued his decision to run an Intermediate rear, eventually coming in to change tyres on lap 8 but ending up a dejected 24th position.
The lead changed several times with Michael Rutter and John Hopkins making the early running alongside unexpected protagonists Peter Hickman, Alex Lowes plus eventual winner and rain specialist Michael Laverty, who was revelling in the treacherous conditions.
Shane Byrne took the undisputed ride of the day as he scythed through the field from stone cold last, 33rd on the grid, to an incredible 3rd place podium position. ‘Shakey’ actually looked to be going one better after taking second from Rutter but the veteran of BSB fought back to take the runner up position on the last corner of the last lap.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Thruxton, race one result:
1. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha)
2. Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +1.281s
3. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +1.333s
4. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing) +1.923s
5. Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) +2.473s
6. Dan Linfoot (Sorrymate.com Honda) +3.097s
7. Alex Lowes (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +8.863s
8. Chris Walker (Pr1mo Racing Kawasaki) +10.948s
9. Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki) +14.718s
10. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +17.132s