HUSQVARNA has revealed two bikes based on last year's Concept Strada – one a road-oriented clone of the original concept, the other a version with off-road leanings.
Here's what the firm has to say about them:
Husqvarna TR 650 Strada and TR 650 Terra – two powerful characters for on-road and off-road riding.
With the new TR 650 Strada and the new TR 650 Terra,
Husqvarna Motorcycles extends its program of highly agile, dynamic single-cylinder motorcycles by adding two attractive new machines.
Their slim, wiry stature and masculine, dynamic design gives the new Husqvarna TR 650 models a progressive, light and energetic look, whether as the "Terra" version for light terrain or as the "Strada" version for asphalt-based motorcycling fun. At the same time, the two new Husqvarna models are clearly set apart from their competitors with their outstanding overall package of handling and riding dynamics as well as in terms of design. Along with their relatively low weight, a powerful single-cylinder engine and an agile, directionally-stable chassis they embody the passion of motorcycling and the fascinating world of Husqvarna Motorcycles.
Outstandingly powerful single-cylinder engine in the BMW Motorrad mould.
In terms of engine technology, the TR 650 Strada and TR 650 Terra rely on the tried and tested basis of the G 650 GS by BMW Motorrad. However, this liquid-cooled single-cylinder power unit with two overhead camshafts and 652 cc was extensively modified and its performance significantly enhanced for use in the two new Husqvarna models. It delivers 43 kW (58 hp) at 7,250 rpm, developing its maximum torque of 60 Nm at 5,750 rpm. For those countries with graduated licencing, there is also there is also a reduced power version on offer as an ex works option with 35 kW (48 hp) at 7,250 rpm and 54 Nm of torque at 5,750 rpm.
The single-cylinder engine has been modified with a wide range of measures to hone it for its athletic, dynamic purpose. In addition to various other improvements, such features as a modified electronic fuel-injection system, altered camshafts and an increased compression ratio due to modified piston and cylinder head geometries ensure powerful propulsion, high revving and spontaneous response. Nonetheless, with its exhaust system in stainless steel including two rear silencers and a closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, the engine provides not just an especially high level of single-cylinder riding fun but also excellent fuel efficiency and environmental compatibility.
In conjunction with the constant-mesh 5-speed gearbox, the powerful and high-revving single-cylinder engine in the Husqvarna TR 650 Strada puts in an especially impressive performance on country roads, while a full torque curve and spontaneous response also allow supreme off-road excursions over light terrain on the TR 650 Terra.
Robust, high-quality chassis for riding fun both on and off the road.
The new Husqvarna models TR 650 Strada and TR 650 Terra are able to rely on an agile chassis based on a split-backbone tubular steel frame with remove-able rear frame and front beam bolted to the engine.
Front guidance and suspension duties are dealt with by a torsionally-stiff 46 millimetre upside-down telescopic fork. The rear wheel is controlled by a torsionally-stiff dual swing arm made of pentagonal steel tubing in conjunction with a centrally-mounted rear shock with progressive linkage. In keeping with its use on asphalted roads, the Husqvarna TR 650 Strada has cast wheels made of aluminium while the TR 650 Terra reflects its off-road suitability with a centrally-mounted rear shock with progressive linkage. Generous suspension travel of 190 millimetres at the front and rear makes for easy handling and a high level of directional stability combined with excellent comfort and off-road qualities.
TR 650 Strada fitted as standard with ABS. TR 650 Terra with ABS as an optional feature.
To match the dynamic performance available, the brake system consists of a single-disc brake at front and rear which offers supremely solid stopping power. The new Husqvarna TR 650 Strada is fitted as standard with ABS, while the new Husqvarna TR 650 Terra can likewise feature ABS if this is ordered as an ex works option. The ABS is disengageable for special uses.
Masculine shaping in dynamic, Italian design.
To reflect their high level of riding dynamics, the lines of the new Husqvarna TR 650 Strada and TR 650 Terra have been given a particular dynamic emphasis in terms of design. Although they embody masculine athleticism, their clearly-defined shaping nonetheless conveys a sense of agility and lightness. While the light-alloy cast wheels in the TR 650 Strada embody the active riding character of a road bike, the spoke wheels combined with a high fender on the front wheel reveal the dual sport ambitions of the TR 650 Terra.
The two new Husqvarna models have a robust, masculine appearance through selective use of black-coated chassis elements such as frame and swingarm. In addition, red side trim elements for the TR 650 Terra, and a black side panel for the TR 650 Strada, in combination with the Strada’s low white front fender, lend a unique appearance to each.
The bikes' high aspirations in terms of riding dynamics are underscored by the light-gray sand-cast engine cases, providing a fascinating technical contrast in conjunction with the hallmark Husqvarna red cylinder head. Further accents are provided the anodized-silver upside-down forks and the end caps of the twin exhausts, which proudly exhibit the Husqvarna logo.
The new Husqvarna TR 650 Strada and TR 650 Terra are manufactured at the Husqvarna Motorcycles plant in Cassinetta di Biandronno, northern Italy.
An overview of the key features of the new Husqvarna TR 650 Strada and TR 650 Terra:
- Powerful, high-revving single-cylinder engine with a 652 cc capacity.
- Output 43 kW (58 hp) at 7,250 rpm and maximum torque of 60 Nm at 5,750 rpm.
- Output version 35 kW (48 hp) at 7,250 rpm and maximum torque of 54 Nm at 5,750 rpm as an ex works option for those countries offering graduated licences.
- TR 650 Strada, unladen weight: 168 kg (370.37 lbs) / weight fully fuelled: 186 kg (410.06 lbs). (US-Version: 374.78 lbs / 414.47 lbs)
- TR 650 Terra, unladen weight: 166 kg (365.96 lbs) / weight fully fuelled: 184 kg (405.65 lbs). (US-Version n.a.)
- TR 650 Terra without ABS, unladen weight: 165 kg (363,76 lbs) / weight fully fuelled: 183 kg (403.44 lbs). (US-Version: 368.17 lbs / 410.06 lbs)
- Handling-oriented, robust chassis concept with split-backbone frame and swing arm made of steel as well as telescopic fork and rear shock with linkage (suspension travel at front and rear 190 mm / 7.5”).
- Light alloy cast wheels in finely wrought 10-spoke design for the TR 650 Strada and characteristic off-road spoke wheels with light-alloy rims and hubs for the TR650 Terra.
- Highly stable brake system with single disc brake front and rear and ABS (as standard in the TR 650 Strada, ex works option for the TR 650 Terra).
- Masculine design with dynamically-shaped body panels.
- Fuel tank placed to optimise centre of gravity for enhanced handling.
- Options and special accessories: ABS (TR 650 Terra only), power reduction to 35 kW (48 hp), windshield, hand protectors, low seat, engine guard, heated grips, alarm system, rear softbag, topcase, side pannier.