Jonathan Rea has maintained his perfect 2017 with his maiden victory at Aragon after Chaz Davies fell from the lead on the penultimate lap.
Rea and Davies spent the opening race battling for the lead by trading passes until both decided on a rhythm to pull away from the chasing Tom Sykes and Marco Melandri.
With the closing laps approaching, the pace and overtakes picked up again and at the start of the penultimate lap Davies made a brave move up the inside at turn one aiming to blitz the pace to escape to the win.
Despite making a small gap to Rea the Aruba.it Racing Ducati rider tucked the front tyre at the long final corner and tumbled out of contention, allowing Rea to ease to a fifth straight win.
Melandri was able to pick up the pieces for the factory Ducati squad by claiming second place with Davies out but was four seconds off of Rea. Tom Sykes was gifted the final rostrum spot to make it damage limitation for his title hopes against Rea.
Alex Lowes recovered from a nightmare morning with a crash in FP3 and an engine problem in Superpole to climb from 12th to fourth place and also beat Pata Yamaha team-mate Michael van der Mark who had to settle for fifth.
Local rider Jordi Torres claimed an impressive sixth place for the struggling Althea BMW squad ahead of the returning Leandro Mercado on the IodaRacing Aprilia who beat the factory-assisted Milwaukee Aprilia of Eugene Laverty.
Red Bull Honda looks to have enjoyed solid improvements with two top ten results as Stefan Bradl grabbed ninth ahead of Nickey Hayden, with Leon Camier taking 11th as Markus Reiterberger, Julian Simon and Randy Krummenacher rounded out the points after Xavi Fores failed to finish having crashed his Barni Ducati before retiring with an engine fire.
Full race one results from the third round of the 2017 World Superbike Championship at Motorland Aragon, Spain.
1. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 18 laps
2. Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R +4.058s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +7.512s
4. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 +9.962s
5. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Yamaha YZF-R1 +12.302s
6. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR +18.995s
7. Leandro Mercado ITA IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 +21.545s
8. Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 +27.309s
9. Stefan Bradl GER Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 +27.488s
10. Nicky Hayden USA Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 +27.663s
11. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR +35.409s
12. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW S1000RR +41.558s
13. Julian Simon SPA Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 +44.006s
14. Randy Krummenacher SWI Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-10R +44.482s
15. Alex de Angelis SMR Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +45.915s
16. Riccardo Russo ITA Guandalini Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 00.000s
Did not finish
Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R
Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R
Roman Ramos ESP Team Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R
Ayrton Badovini ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R
Did not start
Ondrej Jezek CZE Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R