Jonathan Rea has dominated to his 12th win of the year and with it a third consecutive World Superbike title in the Magny-Cours opener.
The Kawasaki rider produced a lights-to-flag masterclass to take victory by over 16 seconds and claim a historic third consecutive title – the first time in World Superbike history the feat has been achieved.
Behind the Rea domination, Marco Melandri reeled in Tom Sykes to snatch second place on the final lap as the pair battled the conditions and each other, including a scary moment where the Italian’s front wheel sparked against Sykes’s exhaust, but it was the Aruba.it Racing Ducati rider who clinched the runner-up spot.
Five seconds behind the fight for second place Leon Camier equalled his best result of the campaign with fourth place for MV Agusta in what turned out to be a lonely race with Pata Yamaha’s Alex Lowes in fifth place but 19 seconds behind.
Eugene Laverty recovered from two falls in Superpole 2 to use his spare Milwaukee Aprilia to take sixth place from Leandro Mercado (IodaRacing Aprilia) at the chequered flag.
Davide Giugliano rescued a difficult race weekend with eighth place for Red Bull Honda after it was confirmed Stefan Bradl with miss the rest of the season due to injury.
Michael van der Mark picked up his Pata Yamaha after crashing at the hairpin on lap two, which saw the luckless Xavi Fores (Barni Ducati) clatter the stricken YZF-R1 machine, with the Dutch rider recovering to finish ninth as Chaz Davies suffered with an electronics issue on the factory Ducati to finish 10th.
WorldSBK race one results from Magny-Cours:
1. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10RR 21 laps
2. Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R +16.316s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10RR +16.666s
4. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR +22.133s
5. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 +41.210s
6. Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 +1m
7. Leandro Mercado ARG IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 +1m
8. Davide Giugliano ITA Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 +1m
9. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m
10. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R +1m
11. Lorenzo Savadori ITA Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 +1m
12. Roman Ramos ESP Team Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1m
13. Raffaele De Rosa ITA Althea BMW S1000RR +1m
14. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR +1m
15. Riccardo Russo ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1 lap
16. Ondrej Jezek CZE Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1 lap
17. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Guandalini Yamaha YZF-R1 +1 lap
18. Anthony West AUS Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1 lap
19. Jake Gagne USA Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 +1 lap
Did not finish
Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati Panigale R
Did not start
Ayrton Badovini ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Matthieu Lussiana FRA Team ASPI BMW S1000RR