Chaz Davies has delivered Aruba.it Racing Ducati pole position at its home round at Imola.
The factory Ducati rider secured his second pole position of the season – and second consecutive straight Superpole at Imola – with a 1m 45.662s which just kept him ahead of Tom Sykes by 0.032s.
Using the new Pirelli qualifier tyre it was the Welsh rider's second flying lap which ensured he would start race one on pole position thanks to the lap time gains against the factory Kawasaki pair.
World Superbike championship leader Jonathan Rea will start from third on the grid having stayed clear of the chasing pack while MV Agusta enjoyed its best qualifying of the season with Leon Camier in fourth ahead of Marco Melandri on the factory Ducati.
Euegen Laverty completes row two for Milwaukee Aprilia to ensure three Italian manufacturers in the top six at their home round.
Xavi Fores heads up row three on the Barni Ducati in front of Leandro Mercado on the IodaRacing Aprilia, while it was a difficult qualifying for Pata Yamaha with Michael van der Mark a lowly ninth.
Full World Superbike Superpole results from Imola:
1. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 45.662s
2. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 45.694s
3. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 45.986s
4. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR 1m 46.434s
5. Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 46.610s
6. Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 1m 46.617s
7. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R 1m 46.915s
8. Leandro Mercado ITA IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 1m 47.516s
9. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 47.685s
10. Lorenzo Savadori ITA Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 1m 47.854s
11. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 1m 47.888s
12. Stefan Bradl GER Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 1m 48.518s
Grid positions determined by Superpole 1 results:
13. Nicky Hayden USA Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 1m 48.698s
14. Roman Ramos ESP Team Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 48.734s
15. Randy Krummenacher SWI Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 48.958s
16. Raffaele De Rosa ITA Althea BMW S1000RR 1m 48.988s
17. Ayrton Badovini ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 49.007s
18. Alex de Angelis SMR Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 49.111s
19. Riccardo Russo ITA Guandalini Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 49.519s
20. Ondrej Jezek CZE Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 50.597s
21. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR No time set