Chaz Davies has secured his fifth victory of the 2017 World Superbike championship in the Lausitzring opener after bolting clear of the chasing Kawasaki pair of Jonathan Rea and Tom Sykes.
The Aruba.it Racing Ducati cut through from sixth on the grid to second place during the opening lap tussles before taking the lead from Sykes up the inside into turn ten on lap two. Rea duly followed Davies past Sykes at the first turn on lap three as the pair pulled clear of the pole-sitter.
While the top three traded similar lap times in the opening half of the race, Davies eventually broke clear of Rea to gradually build a lead without ever looking seriously challenged. With Davies over 100 points off of the World Superbike title leader, Rea settled for second place to extend his championship advantage to 63 points with Sykes back in third.
In a relatively uneventful race, Marco Melandri guided his Aruba.it Racing Ducati to fourth place despite suffering a huge drop-off in performance in the closing laps to finish ahead of MV Agusta’s Leon Camier by half a second.
With Camier impressing in fifth, Alex Lowes was forced to settle for sixth place on the Pata Yamaha but comfortably ahead of front-row starter Lorenzo Savadori in seventh for Milwaukee Aprilia.
After disastrous opening laps by Jordi Torres and Eugene Laverty respectively, the Spanish rider recovered from dropping to 21st to take eighth place as Laverty produced a similar feat to climb up the field from 20th to tenth place.
World Superbike race one results from Lausitzring:
1. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R 21 laps
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10RR +1.834s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10RR +3.250s
4. Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R +16.005s
5. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR +16.597s
6. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 +16.783s
7. Lorenzo Savadori ITA Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 +24.898s
8. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati Panigale R +31.137s
9. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR +31.373s
10. Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 +40.593s
11. Leandro Mercado ARG IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 +47.796s
12. Randy Krummenacher SWI Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-10RR +48.509s
13. Markus Reiterberger GER Van Zon Remeha BMW S1000RR +50.795s
14. Roman Ramos ESP Team Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1m+
15. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m+
16. Ayrton Badovini ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1m+
Did not finish
Raffaele De Rosa ITA Althea BMW S1000RR
Pawel Szkopek POL Pazera Racing Team Yamaha YZF-R1
Riccardo Russo ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Ondrej Jezek CZE Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Davide Giugliano ITA Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2
Massimo Roccoli ITA Guandalini Yamaha YZF-R1
Did not start
Stefan Bradl GER Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2