Valentino Rossi has claimed his first MotoGP race win since the 2016 Catalan race by battling through the weather and against Danilo Petrucci for victory at Assen.
The Movistar Yamaha rider produced a flawless race performance to get in the front-running pack of pole-sitter Johann Zarco, Petrucci and Marc Marquez with all riders on a mix of tyre options due to the poor weather at the Dutch TT.
As rain threatened with seven laps to go Petrucci and Rossi made a break ahead, while Zarco pitted for a bike swap for wet tyres, and Dovizioso and Marquez scrapped for third place.
While the front two hit backmarkers after trading passes for the lead, Rossi got a smooth passage past Alex Rins while his countryman got held up which saw the factory Yamaha rider grab victory by just 0.063s for this 115th triumph in his career.
With Petrucci second, Marquez held off a late charge from Cal Crutchlow for the final podium spot and despite Dovizioso slipping down to fifth late on he takes the championship lead after Maverick Vinales crashed out after slipping off at the Geert Trimmer chicane.
Assen winner from 12 months ago Jack Miller grabbed sixth place as Karel Abraham grabbed his equal-best career result in seventh place. Loris Baz claimed an impressive eighth place ahead of Suzuki’s Andrea Iannone and Aprilia’s Aleix Espargaro.
Pol Espargaro grabbed KTM’s best result of the year so far with 11th place ahead of Tito Rabat and Dani Pedrosa, with the pitting Johann Zarco down in 14th, as Jorge Lorenzo completed the points finishers in a miserable 15th place.
Full MotoGP race results for the Dutch TT:
1. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 41m 41.149s
2. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP17) 41m 41.212s
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 41m 46.350s
4. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 41m 46.392s
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 41m 46.476s
6. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 42m 4.539s
7. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP15) 42m 18.131s
8. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 42m 18.207s
9. Andrea Iannone ITA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 42m 18.315s
10. Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 42m 43.078s
11. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 42m 50.533s
12. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 42m 51.270s
13. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 42m 51.493s
14. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* 43m 16.804s
15. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) +1 lap
16. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP16) +1 lap
17. Alex Rins ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* +1 lap
Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP16) DNF
Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP16) DNF
Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) DNF
Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) DNF
Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* DNF
Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* DNF