Marc Marquez has sealed the 2017 MotoGP world championship title thanks to third place in a dramatic season finale in Valencia where title rival Andrea Dovizioso crashed out while Marquez’s Repsol Honda team-mate claimed victory.
With Dovizioso needing to win in Valencia to stand any chance of stealing the title, the championship was effectively decided on lap 25 when the Italian rider crashed just moments after Ducati team-mate Jorge Lorenzo.
Lorenzo had been repeatedly told by his Ducati crew to let Dovizioso past him for fourth place which the Spanish rider failed to do so but ultimately it bailed into insignificance when Marquez ended the race third – despite suffering a turn one scare to drop from the lead to third.
That enabled Pedrosa to produce a final lap pass on Tech 3 Yamaha’s Johann Zarco to clinch an unlikely victory with his newly-crowned world champion team-mate completing the podium.
The double Ducati DNF promoted Alex Rins to a career best fourth place to round out his MotoGP rookie campaign for Suzuki strongly, with Movistar Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi in fifth using the 2016 chassis.
Andrea Iannone impressed for Suzuki in sixth place ahead of Jack Miller (Marc VDS Honda) and Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) as Ducati wildcard rider Michele Pirro and Tito Rabat (Marc VDS Honda) rounded out the top ten finishers.
Full Valencia MotoGP race results here:
1. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 46m 8.125s
2. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 46m 8.462s
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 46m 18.986s
4. Alex Rins ESP Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 46m 21.692s
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 46m 21.942s
6. Andrea Iannone ITA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 46m 22.641s
7. Jack Miller AUS EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 46m 25.212s
8. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 46m 25.355s
9. Michele Pirro ITA Ducati Team (GP17) 46m 34.067s
10. Tito Rabat ESP EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 46m 35.145s
11. Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 46m 38.960s
12. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 46m 43.137s
13. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac (GP17) 46m 46.201s
14. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar (GP15) 46m 50.113s
15. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia (GP16) 46m 55.828s
16. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia (GP15) 46m 55.834s
17. Michael Van Der Mark NED Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 47m 0.259s
Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) DNF
Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP17) DNF
Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (GP17) DNF
Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* DNF
Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar (GP16) DNF
Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac (GP16) DNF
Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) DNF
Mika Kallio FIN Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) DNF