Marc Marquez has cemented his place at the top of the MotoGP world championship standings with a quick-thinking early pit stop to switch to dry tyres and storm to victory.
After a heavy shower soaked the Brno circuit during the earlier Moto2 race, the MotoGP race was declared a wet race with every rider starting on wets but an early dry line was carved out on the opening laps.
The Repsol Honda rider was one of the first to pit for a bike change to switch to the dry tyres and it paid off big time as he built a comfortable lead over the chasing field once they pitted for dry tyres later on.
Factory Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa was another to profit with his pit stop strategy to secure a Repsol Honda one-two as the Movistar Yamaha clawed back a poor strategy with Maverick Vinales third and Valentino Rossi in fourth.
Rossi got the better of Cal Crutchlow on the final two laps for fourth place as the LCR Honda rider bounced back from a nasty FP3 fall while Andrea Dovizioso attempted damage limitation for Ducati in sixth place after pitting late.
Danilo Petrucci grabbed seventh on the Pramac Ducati ahead of Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia) and Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM) in a shaken-up top ten with Jonas Folger holding off Alex Rins at the chequered flag for tenth place.
Johann Zarco was the last to pit which punished the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider in 12th place, while local rider Karel Abraham secured 13th for Aspar Ducati. Jack Miller (Marc VDS Honda) and Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati) completed the points places after the Spanish rider lost over 15 seconds in the pits waiting for his second bike which wasn’t prepared when he pitted.
Czech Republic MotoGP race results:
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 44m 15.974s
2. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 44m 28.412s
3. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 44m 34.109s
4. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 44m 36.440s
5. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 44m 36.866s
6. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 44m 39.233s
7. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac (Desmosedici GP17) 44m 40.053s
8. Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 44m 46.533s
9. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 44m 46.728s
10. Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 44m 49.210s
11. Alex Rins ESP Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 44m 49.264s
12. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 44m 50.569s
13. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar (Desmosedici GP15) 44m 50.671s
14. Jack Miller AUS EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 44m 54.036s
15. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 44m 56.074s
16. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac (Desmosedici GP16) 45m 0.350s
17. Tito Rabat ESP EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 45m 1.428s
18. Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* 45m 9.950s
19. Andrea Iannone ITA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 45m 39.320s
20. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia (Desmosedici GP16) +1 lap
Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) DNF
Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia (Desmosedici GP15) DNF
Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar (Desmosedici GP16) DNF