Marc Marquez has clinched pole position for the Czech Republic MotoGP by less than one-tenth over Valentino Rossi at Brno.
The defending MotoGP champion and 2017 points leader had begun to assert his dominance on the timesheet and duly converted it with pole position by just 0.092s ahead of Rossi who threatened to steal the show on his penultimate lap in qualifying 2.
Marquez’s team-mate Dani Pedrosa completes the front row in Brno after being bumped back by Rossi but kept clear of Andrea Dovizioso on the Ducati who will start from fourth.
Despite riding injured Cal Crutchlow grabbed fifth for LCR Honda and ahead of factory Ducati rider Jorge Lorenzo who had his best lap, which would have secured him third on the grid, deleted for exceeding track limits.
Maverick Vianles will need to fight back from seventh on the grid and is joined by Pramac Ducati’s Danilo Petrucci and Aspar Ducati’s Alvaro Bautista on row three.
Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Johann Zarco heads up row four ahead of Aleix Espargaro who fell from his Aprilia during Q2 as Avintia Ducati’s Loris Baz completed the top 12 contenders.
Czech Republic MotoGP qualifying results:
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 1m 54.981s [Lap 6/7] 306km/h (Top Speed)
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 1m 55.073s +0.092s [6/7] 308km/h
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 1m 55.119s +0.138s [7/7] 310km/h
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 55.441s +0.460s [6/7] 312km/h
5. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 55.489s +0.508s [6/7] 303km/h
6. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 55.552s +0.571s [5/6] 305km/h
7. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 1m 55.663s +0.682s [7/7] 308km/h
8. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac (Desmosedici GP17) 1m 55.738s +0.757s [5/6] 312km/h
9. Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 56.027s +1.046s [6/7] 308km/h
10. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 1m 56.075s +1.094s [6/7] 309km/h
11. Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 56.355s +1.374s [2/5] 305km/h
12. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 56.624s +1.643s [6/7] 303km/h
13. Alex Rins ESP Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 1m 56.460s 305km/h
14. Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 1m 56.540s 305km/h
15. Jack Miller AUS EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 56.543s 305km/h
16. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 56.685s 311km/h
17. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 56.786s 307km/h
18. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 1m 57.034s 307km/h
19. Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 1m 57.042s 304km/h
20. Andrea Iannone ITA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 57.245s 305km/h
21. Tito Rabat ESP EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 57.288s 307km/h
22. Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* 1m 57.465s 303km/h
23. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac (Desmosedici GP16) 1m 57.517s 307km/h