Andrea Dovizioso has produced a carbon copy of his wet 2016 victory at Sepang to keep the MotoGP World Championship title fight alive until the final race at Valencia.
Dovizioso led home a Ducati one-two from team-mate Jorge Lorenzo to secure his sixth win of the year and coupled with Marc Marquez’s fourth place it ensures his title challenge continues until the final round. Marquez leads Dovizioso by 21 points which effectively means the Italian must win in Valencia and hopes his title rival scores three points or fewer.
Johann Zarco helped keep the title race going by finishing on the podium ahead of Marquez while clinching the top MotoGP independent honour on his Tech 3 Yamaha.
Dani Pedrosa followed Marquez in a distant fifth place for Repsol Honda having fended off Danilo Petrucci in a final lap duel.
It was another disappointing wet race for Movistar Yamaha with Valentino Rossi coming home in seventh ahead of Jack Miller and team-mate Maverick Vinales who is now officially out of title contention. Pol Espargaro grabbed another top ten result for Red Bul KTM ahead of Alvaro Bautista (Aspar Ducati) with team-mate Bradley Smith in 12th.
Scott Redding (Pramac Ducati), Hector Barbera (Avintia Ducati) and Cal Crutchlow rounded out the points finishers, as MotoGP debutant Michael van der Mark narrowly missed out on points in 16th filling in for Jonas Folger at Tech 3 Yamaha.
Full Malaysian MotoGP race results:
1. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP17) 44m 51.497s
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (GP17) 44m 52.240s
3. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 45m 1.235s
4. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 45m 9.260s
5. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 45m 20.641s
6. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac (GP17) 45m 21.877s
7. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 45m 22.266s
8. Jack Miller AUS EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 45m 26.735s
9. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 45m 29.550s
10. Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 45m 31.344s
11. Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar (GP16) 45m 34.056s
12. Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 45m 36.099s
13. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac (GP16) 45m 40.193s
14. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia (GP16) 45m 41.555s
15. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 45m 42.202s
16. Michael Van Der Mark NED Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 45m 47.894s
17. Andrea Iannone ITA Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 45m 49.888s
18. Tito Rabat ESP EG 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 46m 17.068s
Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP)* DNF
Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar (GP15) DNF
Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia (GP15) DNF
Alex Rins ESP Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* DNF