Andrea Dovizioso defied food poisoning to secure a maiden dry MotoGP win in front his home fans at Mugello in a historic day for Ducati.
The Italian rider handed Ducati’s first home win at the circuit since Casey Stoner in 2009 on a day when it was in doubt whether he’d make the starting grid due to overnight sickness. But Dovizioso took charge from Maverick Vinales on lap 14 and rarely looked in trouble to ease to victory.
Vinales battled back against Danilo Petrucci who had briefly risen to second on the Pramac Ducati before settling for his own maiden dry MotoGP podium, leaving the walking wounded Valentino Rossi to narrowly miss out on the rostrum.
Rossi, riding with chest and stomach injuries from last week's motocross accident, was in the lead group throughout the race, but suffered in the closing stages to finish 1.3s from Petrucci's Ducati.
Aspar Ducati's Alvaro Bautista got the better of reigning champion Marc Marquez for fifth place with Johann Zarco fighting off Jorge Lorenzo for seventh and eighth place respectively – after the Spanish rider faded late on despite leading in the opening laps.
Ducati’s wildcard rider Michele Pirro and Suzuki’s Andrea Iannone completed the top ten as Dani Pedrosa and Cal Crutchlow were involved in a last-lap tangle to drop out of the points places.
Full Italian MotoGP race results:
1. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 41m 32.126s
2. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 41m 33.407s
3. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP17) 41m 34.460s
4. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 41m 35.811s
5. Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP16) 41m 37.928s
6. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 41m 38.011s
7. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 41m 45.331s
8. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 41m 46.519s
9. Michele Pirro ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 41m 47.006s
10. Andrea Iannone ITA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 41m 47.628s
11. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 41m 54.130s
12. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP16) 41m 57.078s
13. Jonas Folger GER Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 42m 0.286s
14. Hector Barbera ESP Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP16) 42m 2.802s
15. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 42m 2.905s
16. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar Team (Desmosedici GP15) 42m 14.432s
17. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 42m 18.420s
18. Loris Baz FRA Reale Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 42m 22.857s
19. Sam Lowes GBR Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 42m 22.866s
20. Bradley Smith GBR Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 42m 23.023s
Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) DNF
Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) DNF
Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) DNF
Pol Espargaro ESP Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) DNF