Jason O’Halloran has grabbed Honda Racing’s maiden pole position with the new Fireblade after dominating qualifying at Silverstone ahead of the MCE British Superbike Showdown decider.
The Australian rider traded fastest laps with James Ellison during Q1 and Q2 before storming clear with lap record pace to set a 2m 04.988s.
After setting the time early in Q3 O’Halloran’s rivals closed the gap but were unable to take provisional pole off of the Honda rider, as Jake Dixon nipped into second on the RAF Reserves Kawasaki ahead of Ellison who completed the front row on the McAMS Yamaha.
Josh Brookes heads up row two on the Anvil Hire Yamaha in front of Leon Haslam on the JG Speedfit Kawasaki as Sylvain Guintoli produced his best qualifying result of 2017 with sixth place on the Bennetts Suzuki.
Peter Hickman was shuffled to row three late on but remained ahead of John Hopkins on the Moto Rapido Ducati after he fell off on his opening fast lap in Q3, as Glenn Irwin was forced to sit out of the pole shootout due to an oil pressure issue with his Be Wiser Ducati.
Irwin’s late lap in Q2 knocked out team-mate and BSB championship leader Shane Byrne from making the pole position fight and starts 10th after struggling with out of balance wheels throughout qualifying.
Fellow BSB Showdown contendersLuke Mossey starts race one from 13th, after an amazing save after tucking the front during Q2, with Friday timesheet topper Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) qualifying 14th.
BSB Silverstone Qualifying results:
1. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR 2m 04.811s
2. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10RR 2m 04.988s
3. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 05.030s
4. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 05.164s
5. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR 2m 05.219s
6. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 05.396s
7. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 2m 05.940s
8. John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R No time set
9. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R No time set
10. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 2m 05.651s
11. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 05.822s
12. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 2m 05.875s
13. Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR 2m 05.901s
14. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 2m 06.091s
15. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 06.334s
16. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10RR 2m 06.347s
17. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR 2m 06.699s
18. Luke Stapleford AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10RR 2m 07.280s
19. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10RR 2m 07.686s
20. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR 2m 07.687s
21. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 2m 07.720s
22. Andrew Reid GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 2m 07.895s
23. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR 2m 08.051s
24. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 09.955s
25. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 2m 10.891s
26. Dean Harrison GBR Silicone Engineering Racing Kawasaki ZX-10RR 2m 11.609s