Peter Hickman has claimed Smiths Racing BMW’s first MCE British Superbike championship race victory after seeing Josh Brookes crash out from the lead on the penultimate lap, as Shane Byrne was forced to retire with a tyre issue.
In a frantic second race at Thruxton, a four-way tussle for the lead developed between Hickman, Brookes, Byrne and Jake Dixon with the softer Pirelli tyre proving key for the front-running pace.
However, Byrne saw his race prematurely halted by a rear tyre problem as his pace fell away after two-third race distance before the BSB championship leader eventually pulled into the pits having tumbled down the running order.
Up ahead Brookes appeared to win the tussle against Hickman for the lead as he built a one-second advantage in the closing stages but on the penultimate lap the Anvil Hire Yamaha rider tipped off at Cobb corner to see a vital double victory slip from his grasp having won the opener earlier in the day.
With a healthy advantage over Dixon, Hickman eased to victory for his first win of 2017, Smiths Racing BMW’s maiden victory in BSB and the German manufacturer’s first win of the year.
Behind the top two Leon Haslam won a race-long tussle with Christian Iddon to secure the final spot on the podium for JG Speedfit Kawasaki at its home round, while Honda Racing’s Jason O’Halloran secured fifth place.
Local rider Martin Jessopp with sixth place in race two for Ridermotorcycle BMW for his best result of 2017, while Lee Jackson also claimed his best finish of the year with seventh for Smiths Racing BMW.
Sylvain Guintoli (Bennetts Suzuki) led home Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) as James Ellison on the McAMS Yamaha rescued 10th place from a disastrous race weekend.
BSB Thruxton race two results:
1. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 18 laps, 22m 46.021s
2. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10R +6.044s
3. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R +11.227s
4. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +11.467s
5. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR +14.971s
6. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR +18.505s
7. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +18.600s
8. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +19.199s
9. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +19.439s
10. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +19.512s
11. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR +19.725s
12. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR +21.630s
13. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +21.857s
14. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R +26.813s
15. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10R +31.808s
16. Andrew Reid GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +36.490s
17. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +51.400s
Did not finish
Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1
Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R
John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R
Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000
Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1
Michael Rutter GBR Bathams SMT BMW S1000RR
Did not start
Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000
Michael Dunlop GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000
Ruled out by injury
Billy McConnell AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R