Leon Haslam has produced a lights-to-flag victory in the opening race at Oulton Park to extend his MCE British Superbike championship lead.
The JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider bolted into the lead into turn one with pole-sitter Byrne in close company through the opening laps as Luke Mossey followed the top two to build a gap between the chasing field.
As tyre wear played its part, Haslam on the harder Pirelli rear tyre made his advantage pay by pulling away over the final three laps to ease to victory ahead of Byrne. Mossey, who also dropped off the front two in the closing stages, claimed an untroubled third place to strengthen his BSB Showdown case having achieved a maiden double victory at Brands Hatch Indy last time out.
Behind the front three an intense six-way battle opened up with Honda Racing's Jason O'Halloran perfecting a final corner pass up the inside of Smiths Racing BMW's Peter Hickman to grab fourth place and the new Fireblade CBR1000RR SP2's best result of the campaign.
Hickman held off McAMS Yamaha's James Ellison in the sprint to the finish line for fifth and sixth place respectively, while Anvil Hire Yamaha's Josh Brookes was another to suffer a late fade due to tyre wear to slip to seventh place.
Tyco BMW's Christian Iddon grabbed eighth place late on ahead of Be Wiser Ducati's Glenn Irwin as RAF Reserves Kawasaki's Jake Dixon rounded out the top ten.
Full BSB race one results at Oulton Park
1. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 18 laps, 28m 43.828s
2. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +2.632s
3. Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R +5.169s
4. Jason O'Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR +9.271s
5. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +9.343s
6. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +9.501s
7. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +10.264s
8. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +10.416s
9. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +11.304s
10. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10R +11.688s
11. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R +21.820s
12. Billy McConnell AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10R +23.907s
13. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR +24.152s
14. John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R +25.084s
15. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +28.980s
16. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR +31.710s
17. Alastair Seeley GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +31.720s
18. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +44.858s
19. Michael Dunlop GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +57.185s
20. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10R +1m 01.352s
21. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 07.163s
22. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 07.365s
23. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR +1m 12.115s
Did not finish
Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1
Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000
Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000