Leon Haslam has kept his winning record at Cadwell Park with victory in the opener after getting the better of Jake Dixon.
The JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider clinched his first BSB win since round three at Oulton Park but was made to work for it after getting past Dixon for the lead at the halfway stage with a pass up the inside at Park corner.
In a race where the top six were never separated by more than two seconds, a train of riders all looked in contention for the victory but the tight and twisty nature of Cadwell Park denied any clear-cut overtaking opportunities.
Despite Dixon’s best efforts in the closing laps he couldn’t find a way past Haslam as the former World Superbike star clinched victory by 0.131s from the RAF Reserves Kawasaki rider.
Just behind the top two Shane Byrne recovered from a scary moment at Mansfield on lap two when he almost tucked the front of his Be Wiser Ducati but held on to claw his way to third place ahead of Smiths Racing BMW’s Peter Hickman.
Honda’s Jason O’Halloran strengthened his place in the top six Showdown with fifth place ahead of local rider Lee Jackson on the Smiths Racing BMW.
Michael Laverty led the McAMS Yamaha charge in seventh place by fending off a late charge from Tyco BMW’s Christian Iddon as Team WD-40 Kawasaki’s Tommy Bridewell and the second McAMS Yamaha of James Ellison completed the top ten.
Full BSB race one results from Cadwell Park:
1. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR 18 laps, 26m 19.792s
2. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10RR +0.131s
3. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +0.404s
4. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +0.689s
5. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR +1.106s
6. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +1.224s
7. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +4.247s
8. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +4.311s
9. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +4.502s
10. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +4.754s
11. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +13.218s
12. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +14.725s
13. Andrew Reid GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +16.746s
14. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 +22.765s
15. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +25.719s
16. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR +28.217s
17. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR +28.302s
18. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +30.694s
19. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10RR +43.302s
20. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 02.690s
Did not finish
Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1
Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR
Ruled out by injury
John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R
Billy McConnell AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR