James Ellison has grabbed McAMS Yamaha’s first-ever British Superbike win by seeing off Lee Jackson who takes his maiden podium in the series in a hectic Cadwell Park race two.
With the three front runners of Jake Dixon, Shane Byrne and Leon Haslam out in quick succession by lap 11 it set-up a three-way battle between Ellison, Jackson and Peter Hickman who had cleared away from the chasing pack. Ellison made a bold move up the inside of Jackson with two laps to go and held his nerve for his first win since the final round last year.
The victory marks McAMS Yamaha’s first win in BSB since stepping up to the Superbike class, while the records continued to be made at Cadwell Park as local rider Jackson notched up his maiden BSB podium ahead of Smiths Racing BMW team-mate Peter Hickman.
With a number of title contenders out of the running, it saw Jason O’Halloran take a much-needed fourth place on the Honda to firm up his BSB Showdown place while Christian Iddon on the Tyco BMW closed the gap on the top six.
Tommy Bridewell took a superb sixth place for Team WD-40 Kawasaki ahead of Josh Brookes on the Anvil Hire Yamaha and Michael Laverty on the second McAMS Yamaha.
Glenn Irwin grabbed ninth on the Be Wiser Ducati as Sylvain Guintoli recovered from a difficult race weekend to complete the top ten for Bennetts Suzuki.
BSB race two results from Cadwell Park:
1. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 18 laps, 26m 12.941s
2. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +0.696s
3. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +2.237s
4. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR +5.739s
5. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +6.010s
6. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +7.501s
7. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +7.670s
8. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +10.336s
9. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +10.367s
10. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +15.830s
11. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 +20.603s
12. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR +24.467s
13. Andrew Reid GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +32.683s
14. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR +33.220s
15. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +41.317s
16. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10RR +42.109s
17. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 02.947s
18. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 03.102s
Did not finish
Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R
Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Did not start
Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR
Ruled out by injury
John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R
Billy McConnell AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR