Jake Dixon has secured his first MCE British Superbike championship pole position after triumphing in the second Superpole of the year.
The RAF Reserves Kawasaki rider topped Friday practice to storm into contention ahead of qualifying and with the Superpole format used for the second time of the year thanks to the sunny conditions Dixon dialled in his ZX-10RR to pull out a brilliant single lap.
The 21-year-old, who claimed a maiden double victory at Knockhill in June, grabbed provisional pole off of Josh Brookes with a 1m 14.052s with only Dan Linfoot on the Honda left to run. With Linfoot only able to produce a lap good enough for sixth on the grid Dixon was duly handed his first pole position in the BSB class.
Earlier in the single lap shootout BSB championship leader Shane Byrne was unable to replicate his recent outright pace on the Be Wiser Ducati and his lap was only good enough for fifth, while title rival Leon Haslam crashed out at the Club chicane on his flying lap in Superpole and failed to set a time for JG Speedfit Kawasaki so will start from ninth on the grid.
With Brookes second on the grid for Anvil Hire Yamaha, Peter Hickman completes the front row on the Smiths Racing BMW while Christian Iddon on the Tyco BMW heads up the second row in front of Byrne and Linfoot.
Jason O’Halloran claimed the front of row three in seventh for Honda Racing in front of John Hopkins for Moto Rapido Ducati as Haslam completed the Superpole contenders.
In FP3 Haslam’s team-mate Luke Mossey was ruled out of the Thruxton race weekend after falling heavily in the closing minutes of the session.
BSB Thruxton Qualifying results:
1. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 14.052s
2. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 14.256s
3. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 1m 14.657s
4. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 1m 14.780s
5. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 1m 15.193s
6. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 15.268s
7. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 15.439s
8. John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R 1m 15.670s
9. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R No time set
10. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 15.015s
11. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR 1m 15.071s
12. Michael Rutter GBR Bathams SMT BMW S1000RR 1m 15.084s
13. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 15.230s
14. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 15.282s
15. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR 1m 15.336s
16. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 15.650s
17. Andrew Reid GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 1m 15.800s
18. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 15.948s
19. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 1m 15.811s
20. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 1m 15.819s
21. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 16.078s
22. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 16.085s
23. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 16.469s
24. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 16.707s
25. Michael Dunlop GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 18.018s
Did not qualify
Billy McConnell AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Ruled out by injury
Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R