Shane Byrne has produced a MCE British Superbike title decider for the final race of the season thanks to his victory in race two at Brands Hatch coupled with Leon Haslam’s disaster in 10th, while Josh Brookes remains in touching distance.
In a repeat of the opening race at the Kent circuit on Saturday, Shane Byrne stormed through to get into the lead early on before setting the pace ahead of Christian Iddon to ease to victory.
With Byrne completing his charge for a sixth BSB title with the race two win, the Be Wiser Ducati rider still needed Haslam to drop points in order to overhaul the 33-point deficit from the start of the final round. After a solid start in third place Haslam sunk down the order due to suspected technical issue which left him powerless for the chasing pack to blast past.
With six laps to go Haslam dropped to as low as 12th place to effectively hand Byrne the points lead but with Bradley Ray retiring from the race with a technical issue and getting back past Tommy Bridewell, the JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider rescued 10th place.
The results see Haslam hold a slender two-point lead going into the 2017 title-deciding race.
Behind Byrne, Tyco BMW’s Christian Iddon grabbed his second consecutive runner-up finish of the weekend with James Ellison in third for McAMS Yamaha which shuffled Brookes back to fourth place.
As a result, the Anvil Hire Yamaha rider is 22 points off of leader Haslam which keeps him mathematically in the title race for the decider but would require both Haslam and Byrne to miss out on the top ten.
BSB Brands Hatch GP race two results:
1. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 20 laps, 28m 40.657s
2. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +0.524s
3. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +1.406s
4. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +6.073s
5. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR +8.147s
6. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +10.424s
7. Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +11.216s
8. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +11.547s
9. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR +15.053s
10. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR +18.531s
11. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +19.014s
12. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +22.776s
13. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +26.665s
14. Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR +26.823s
15. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR +26.955s
16. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR +34.367s
17. Kyle Ryde GBR Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +39.204s
18. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10RR +42.775s
19. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 03.788s
20. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 07.908s
Did not finish
Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000
Richard Cooper GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000
Dean Harrison GBR Silicone Engineering Racing Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Michael Rutter GBR Bathams SMT BMW S1000RR
Ruled out by injury
John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R