Shane Byrne has demolished the lap record at Snetterton on his way to Superpole with a 1m 46.024s – half a second faster than nearest rival James Ellison.
The Be Wiser Ducati rider had swept the free practice sessions before keeping clear of the chasing pack to lock his in place for the first Superpole of the year.
Ellison set a blistering pace with a 1m 46.561s – already two-tenths faster than the best ever previous lap at Snetterton – but with Byrne going last into the Superpole shootout he saw the time ahead of him to beat.
Byrne produced a masterclass of one lap pace with a lap almost 1.7s up on the official lap record, his own pole position time from 12 months ago, while over 0.8s up on the previous best lap set by Josh Brookes in a 2015 test.
With Byrne holding the headlines and Ellison forced into second on the grid, Jason O'Halloran grabbed the final spot on the front row for Honda Racing having claimed his maiden BSB win at the Norfolk track last year.
Leon Haslam battled through the pain barrier to put his JG Speedfit Kawasaki fourth on the grid and ahead of maiden double winner at Knockhill Jake Dixon on the RAF Reserves Kawasaki.
BSB championship leader Luke Mossey completes the second row ahead of Anvil Hire Yamaha's Josh Brookes who conceded a few minor mistakes on his debut in the Superpole format in the British series.
Honda's Dan Linfoot lines up eighth on the grid as Jakub Smrz completed the Superpole contenders for Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW.
Full MCE British Superbike championship qualifying results at Snetterton
Josh Elliott is riding in place of Christian Iddon who is missing because of injury.
1. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 1m 46.024s
2. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 46.561s
3. Jason O'Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 47.106s
4. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 47.120s
5. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 47.351s
6. Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 47.355s
7. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 47.510s
8. Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR 1m 48.117s
9. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR 1m 48.163s
10. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 1m 47.705s
11. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 47.726s
12. Billy McConnell AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 48.026s
13. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 48.268s
14. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 48.272s
15. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR 1m 48.424s
16. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 48.674s
17. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 48.740s
18. John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R No time set
19. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR 1m 49.487s
20. Josh Elliott GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 1m 49.607s
21. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 49.634s
22. Andrew Reid GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR 1m 49.751s
23. Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 49.860s
24. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 1m 50.807s
Ruled out by injury
Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R
Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR