Shane Byrne has closed the MCE British Superbike championship points deficit on Leon Haslam who finished fourth in the Brands Hatch opener.
After the initial start of the first race was red flagged due to oil on track which took down five riders, the season finale opener was reduced to 16 laps which saw a close battle develop between early leader Christian Iddon and Byrne. After the Tyco BMW rider led the opening lap, Byrne made his move up the inside on the drive down to Hawthorns and from there gradual built and maintained a useful lead for his fifth win of the season.
With Iddon second and Anvil Hire Yamaha’s Josh Brookes in third place, Haslam could only manage a distant fourth place by holding off former team-mate James Ellison at the chequered flag.
Byrne’s win coupled with Haslam in fourth means the points different is now down to 21 points with two races to go, while Brookes remains in contention thanks to his podium result which sees him 29 points off Haslam and eight points behind Byrne.
With Haslam holding off Ellison at the line it also denied Jason O’Halloran the chance for a late attack for Honda with a lonely race in sixth place but ahead of Smiths Racing BMW duo Peter Hickman and Lee Jackson, which marks the end of Hickman’s title chances.
BSB race one results:
1. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R 20 laps, 22m 53.013s
2. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +1.799s
3. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +2.196s
4. Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR +8.724s
5. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +8.785s
6. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR +14.994s
7. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +17.568s
8. Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +17.260s
9. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 +17.305s
10. Richard Cooper GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +17.576s
11. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +23.463s
12. Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR +23.557s
13. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR +23.669s
14. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10RR +41.384s
15. Kyle Ryde GBR Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +49.598s
16. Dean Harrison GBR Silicone Engineering Racing Kawasaki ZX-10RR +49.642s
17. Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +1m 13.699s
Did not finish
Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R
Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1
Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1
Did not start
Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR
Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000
Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR
Michael Rutter GBR Bathams SMT BMW S1000RR
John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R