Josh Brookes has booked his place in the 2017 MCE British Superbike Showdown with victory in the red-flagged race two at Silverstone.
Brookes stormed into the lead on lap six having followed pole-sitter Shane Byrne and Sylvain Guintoli in the opening stages, while James Ellison sprinted from last on the grid after taking a penalty for a gearbox change.
At the start of lap 10 Brookes led Ellison and Byrne when the safety car was deployed after a nasty crash involving Tyco BMW’s Andrew Reid and Ridersmotorcycles BMW’s Martin Jessopp, with Reid requiring medical attention.
The race was thrown in the air behind the safety car when Anvil Hire Yamaha’s Shaun Winfield suffered a huge engine failure which dropped oil on to the Hangar straight that forced a red flag.
11 laps had been completed at the time of the red flag but due to BSB regulations the result was taken back to the classification at the end of the last completed racing lap. The podium trio remained in order while Guintoli was promoted to fourth place for his best result on the Bennetts Suzuki, with Jason O’Halloran fifth for Honda and Bradley Ray sixth on the Buildbase Suzuki.
BSB Showdown challenger Christian Iddon claimed seventh in front of fellow top six contenders Peter Hickman and Jake Dixon – but it was disaster for Luke Mossey down in 12th while Leon Haslam suffered another DNF after crashing on lap two.
The race result see Josh Brookes, Leon Haslam and Peter Hickman confirm their spots in the BSB Showdown leaving the final two places to be decided in race three.
Jason O’Halloran holds fifth place 18 points ahead of Luke Mossey and Jake Dixon in sixth and seventh respectively who are level on 176 points, while Christian Iddon is still in contention four points off of Mossey and Dixon in eighth.
BSB Silverstone race two results:
1. Josh Brookes AUS Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 8 laps, 16m 59.718s
2. James Ellison GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +0.274s
3. Shane Byrne GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R +0.732s
4. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000 +1.268s
5. Jason O’Halloran AUS Honda Racing CBR1000RR +1.329s
6. Bradley Ray GBR Buildbase Suzuki GSX-R1000 +2.338s
7. Christian Iddon GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR +2.765s
8. Peter Hickman GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR +3.067s
9. Jake Dixon GBR RAF Reserves Kawasaki ZX-10RR +4.977s
10. John Hopkins USA Moto Rapido Ducati Panigale R +7.617s
11. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team WD-40 Kawasaki ZX-10RR +9.224s
12. Luke Mossey GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR +10.437s
13. Jakub Smrz CZE Lloyd & Jones/PR Racing BMW S1000RR +10.778s
14. James Westmoreland GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10RR +28.948s
15. Michael Laverty GBR McAMS Yamaha YZF-R1 +31.265s
16. Dean Harrison GBR Silicone Engineering Racing Kawasaki ZX-10RR +41.445s
17. Aaron Zanotti GBR Platform Hire Yamaha YZF-R1 +45.465s
Did not finish
Shaun Winfield GBR Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha YZF-R1 +13.440s
Andrew Reid GBR Tyco BMW S1000RR
Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles BMW S1000RR
Glenn Irwin GBR Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R
Leon Haslam GBR JG Speedfit Kawasaki ZX-10RR
Lee Jackson GBR Smiths Racing BMW S1000RR
Taylor Mackenzie GBR Bennetts Suzuki GSX-R1000
Dan Linfoot GBR Honda Racing CBR1000RR
Did not start
Luke Stapleford AUS Quattro Plant FS-3 Kawasaki ZX-10RR